What CD-ROM do you recommend?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What CD-ROM do you recommend?

What CD-ROM do you recommend?

Looking for a plain old CD-ROM that will do a lot of gaming, audio extractions (mp3 ripping, etc.), stuff like that. I don't think I want to spend over $50, and I know most CD-ROMs go for less than $40 now. I have the Sony 48x CD-ROM right now, and it has preformed great, just wondering if there is something else that is even better for around the $30-$40 price range.

------------------
    ABIT KT7 w/RAID, AMD Duron 600 @ 950mhz, Kingston 256mb PC-100
    IBM 75GXP 15.3gb, Sony 6x DVD-ROM, Plextor PlexWriter 8/4/32
    ATI Rage Fury 32mb, Soundblaster Live! Value, Linksys LNE100TX NIC

Asus make a good solid CD-ROM.

Used quite a few other brands too, such as Acer, Mitsubishi (Diamond Data), Vinitek and Panasonic. But as yet, none of those compare to the Asus.

------------------
    HWC Members Gallery
    www.hwcpics.totalserve.co.uk

HWC ICQ Active List

There is nothing really under $50 that will be much better than the Sony you have now. Most ide drives in that price range run about 50x so they wouldnt really be any faster. If you want a faster drive you could spend around $100 and get a Kenwood 72x. You could also use that $100 to get a dvd drive or spend even more and get a cd burner.

cd-rom speeds do not matter anymore, so just buy anything you like. the speed only matters when u install something or ripping something..

so just buy any plain thing also i would recommend a dvd since u are buying a cdrom since its only 30 dollars more something like that

------------------
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Thread Information