USB cable length limits?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: USB cable length limits?

USB cable length limits?

Are there any? I'm looking at putting a camera to see who's at the door without having to go upstairs. Are there signal loss limits like CAT5 has? Do they sell the cable for USB devices in bulk? In other words, the extensions I've seen are only 10'....I'd need several of those--do they just sell the cable? (I can splice for connectors, if its just a mulitconductor cable)

The reason I'm looking at USB cameras as opposed to a CCTV setup is the versatility. I can also use the camera for video-confrencing on the road.

Thanks guys, sorry if it's a bit OT

------------------
    ~mir
    P3-733@825 | Duron 700@700
    Fighting for Peace is like Screwing for Virginity
    i souport publik edekashun
    Are you *****fast? - http://www.*****fast.com

Ok,
    Here's the information according to Pocket PC Ref Ninth Edition. 15 feet. I don't know if that's 15 feet TOTAL (there's a 27 device limit per channel, which MIGHT fit in 15 feet), or 15 feet between devices. I just read it, I don't interpret it
    As far as your problem, have you thought about a wireless camera? I don't know if there's one in your city, but there's a chain of alarm equipment resellers called ADI www.adilink.com , and they offer a wide range of video products, including wireless cameras, and adapters that change regular coax cameras to use CAT 5. Just a thought.
    Michael

------------------
    Remember, NO man is a failure who has friends!
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Well, I did a little experimenting...

I've heard its around 80 feet for high power devices (cams) and 40 feet for low power devices (mice). Thats before it needs amplification. Now I decided to test this out a bit and sucessuflly used the Logitech Express Camera at 25 feet without any amplification, or problems. Do you think the device will work without a direct gound? I found out USB cable is merely four conductors and one ground strip that is shielded. If I can stretch this a little farther, I'm thinking about wiring a USB->RJ11 cable. This way I can just get a four-conductor phone cable and use it instead of several lengths of 10' extensions...The only problem I forsee is cutting this ground out. It is the metal casing around a USB connector, and I'm hoping I can just make a ground AT the camera, instead of running it back directly to the PC. I dunno, products of an idle mind

I'm going to try to get away with ONE hub for amplification and 50 feet or wire...and go from there. I guess I could just end up dropping my FPS sampling rate...we'll see. Thanks for the reply!!

PS: I already have this camera, and they're cheap for me. It's an option I want to prove invalid before I shell out lots more money...If this doesn't work, a small bare-board camera with RCA outputs is my Plan B

------------------
    ~mir
    P3-733@825 | Duron 700@700
    i souport publik edekashun
    Are you *****fast? - http://www.*****fast.com

Thread Information