SCSI Card Upgrade For a Atlas 10k
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SCSI Card Upgrade For a Atlas 10k

SCSI Card Upgrade For a Atlas 10k

Iím currently running an Atlas 10k 68pin on a FirePort 40 SCSI card. I believe this to be a testimony to the Atlasís backwards compatibility. However, needles to say, the performance Iíve seen, form HD Tack, says that itís performing far behind an IBM 34GXP. The FirPort 40 isnít an LVD controller. Iím looking to upgrade my controller card, however I donít know what I should get.

Will getting an LVD card alone get the drives performance up where it should be? Or do I need to get a Ultra160 card to get the full performance of the drive. Is the Ultra160 only an increase in bandwidth or would I actually see a marked improvement over a 2940u2w. Iím assuming the lack of performance in my drive now is simple because itís not on an LVD card. Is this correct?

I can get a 2940u2w for about $80. If I will see no increase in speed with a 39160 (or any other Ultra160 card for that matter) then I would rather get that.

What is this dual Ultra160 I see (Adaptec ASC-39160 and Tekram DC-390u3d)? I see that the Atlas 10k III will support Ultra320. Is that what Dual Ultra160 is?

Is there any real difference in Adaptec and Tekram?

Thank you all very much for taking time to read this.

i think dual untra 160 means dual channel u160 so you can have more devices. i would got for the adaptec over the tekram if money isnt too big of an issue, but both are good companies for scsi cards, with tekram being the more low ended company.

------------------
    Visit my website!
    look for me on AIM as gosanjose or on ICQ as #46997155

Hiyas
    Wow Atlas 10K is called the Fastest HDD on the Market. 18% faster then Cheeta HDD. Needs to use a lvd Ultra 160 SCSI card to get its maximum preformance. Don't forget a lvd cable with active end termination.
    Adaptec 29160 are running cheaper then Tekram DC-390U3D for Ultra 160 SCSI cards.
    Adaptec 19160 is best priced card, Works with Windows OS only. 29160 can work with other OS systems.
    regards Bronto

The atlas 10K is called the fastest, but it clearly is not. The Seagate X15 is the fastest.

On researching for any unique requirements for the Atlas 10k for this post. Came across a press release, atlas 10k the fastest Harddrive giving some preformance numbers. It may not of compared to 15k HDDs just the 10k versions.

Thread Information