Visor or 3com Palm IIIe, both same price but which is better?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Visor or 3com Palm IIIe, both same price but which is better?

Visor or 3com Palm IIIe, both same price but which is better?

any ideas or experiences?

------------------
    Celeron II 566 @ 952 using 1.8v ,Abit BE6 Rev 1.0,128 pc100, 8.4 WD HD, Matrox G450 32 meg DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i, Toshiba 6x DVD-rom, other stuff all running on Win98FE

Go with the Visor. The people who run Handspring are the original creators of the Palm systems.

------------------
    The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is.............42
    The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is.............42

Sorry I disagree.

I am a happy (ok, half happy) owner of visor deluxe for more than a year. But now I realized that visor deluxe or plantium might not be the best choice for you for the following reasons:

1. When I made my purchase the #1 reason is price. At the time the 8MB palm pilot will drive me at least $120 more. Now due to competition from visor 3com has lowered their 8MB palm pilot to same price as the visor deluxe which also has 8MB.

2. One major flaw of visor is the lack of flash memory therefore there is no way you can upgrade the palm OS on the visor. While with a palm pilot you can always upgrade your palm OS. Many new applications do not run on older versions of palm os (for example palm os 2.0 which was the standard only two years ago). The inability to upgrade OS is one big mistake and if you bought a visor for a year or two you might have problem running the most recent appliations.

3. The visor catridge is supposed to be a briliant idea that adds tons of expandability to Visor. However in the real world it is not accepted as the standard and it is a proprietary design. The lack of industry standard has made this design a failure. Just look at the limited modules available now for Visor and the higher prices of the visor modules comparing with accessories for palm pilot. A visor modem cost 40% more than a palm pilot modem, the palm pilot keyboard can not be used on visor due to visor's proprietary cartridge design, the list goes on and on. The lack of industry support for its catridge design will drive accessories for visor higher and higher in price and it will lose one of its most powerful weapon in the fight with 3com: price.

Visor is a good product, but with desgin flaws that would spell its failure. Go with palm pilot instead, you know it is the standard.

Other issues to consider:

Speed:

Visor used to be 30% faster than palm pilot because the dragonball cpu it useed was clocked higher than palm's dragonball cpu. but this might have changed by now.

stylus:

palm has better stylus that does not scratch on the screens.

Screen:

always a strong point for palm. Palm has screens with better contrast and a little clearer.

Color:

Used to be visor's department of strong points. Now it is shifting to 3com.

Synchronization:

Synch of palm is more stable than visor as many users have realized.

one good thing about visor deluxe:

USB connection. USB connection. USB connection. I like it!

Well my only problem is that I was looking to spend about $150. I saw that the 3com palm IIIe and M100 are both that price but it says neither is flash upgradeble as well. any ideas?

------------------
    Celeron II 566 @ 952 using 1.8v ,Abit BE6 Rev 1.0,128 pc100, 8.4 WD HD, Matrox G450 32 meg DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i, Toshiba 6x DVD-rom, other stuff all running on Win98FE

The palm III is upgradable.

------------------
    You WILL respect my AUTHORITA!
    You WILL respect my AUTHORITA!

I would rather choose the 8M version instead. I know $100 difference is a lot. But you have to realize that the additional 6M will give you PDA a much longer life span. For example, one of the most popular electronic dictionary for PDA running palm OS is about 5M after installation. Good applications are usually of size between 60k-200k each. Considering the system software already took some space from the 2M, pretty soon you will feel the need to have more memory.

If your really have to settle for the 2MB version for financial reason then actually you might be better off with the visor. I think visor also has the springboard catridge which can later add an additional 8M module which sells now for $70.

Well seems neither the IIIe or the Visor is the clear winner and neither of them can upgrade the OS. The Visor comes with Palm OS 3.5 and the IIIe comes with Palm OS 3.3. Do you really need to upgrade the OS that often? This would be my first PDA so im not loooking for stellar professional performance at this point.

Is it true that the IIIe is much sturdier than the Visor? Any other direct comparisons?

------------------

Thread Information