New Hard Drive Which one?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: New Hard Drive Which one?

New Hard Drive Which one?

I'll be getting a new hard drive for christmas, and I'm going to order everything like the first week in december because I'm going to order it all online, and I would like to make sure I get everything in on time.

Now I'm running a bit tight on storage, I got like 4gbs left on a 10gb hard drive, I know what you all are think thats a lot, but I'm getting a lot of games and stuff for christmas, and I figure I'll eventually get one later so why not now when the price is right.

I am think about the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 20.4gb 7200rpm ATA100 for about $105. I think thats a reasonable price considering that Western Digital 20.5gb 7200rpm ATA66 is about $108. So I figure this would be a good one. What do you all think.

Sorry if this is not where this post is suppost to go, but I was really sure, so I just decided to put it here.

------------------
    If the alarm clock woke you up this morning, you didn't get enough
    sleep.
    Intel P4C 3.0Ghz
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
    2x256mb Corsair Value Select PC3200
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800
    WD 120gb SE
    IBM 60GXP 60gb
    Creative Labs Audigy (free)
    Toshiba SD-M1402 (12x dvd/40x cd)
    Lite-On 52x24x52 ($15 retail )
    Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW
    ThermalTake Silent Purepower 420W PSU

Maxtor 7200 RPM drives are quiet and about as fast as the best in any given speed range. For a 20 Gig drive I donít think it matters whether it is ATA 66 or 100 as it will not exceed 33 Mb/sec in most cases. It is still a good idea to get the ATA 100 for the same price as you might want to use it as the second HD on your next computer and you would not want it to slow the primary HD down. Most reports are that Maxtor makes a better drive than WD anyway.

It is a good drive for the price.

------------------
    If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know
    If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know

Hard drives tend to be a personal preference type of thing, so the best advice I can give you is to take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt. Personally, between the two, I'd definitely recommend the Maxtor. I'm not at all impressed with Western Digital drives, based on five years of seeing them fail. Given the choice, I'd pay a few extra dollars for IBM or Seagate.

Good luck,
    Jerry

The Maxtor DiamondMax Plus series is a great line of HD's. Very fast and quiet.

You can probably get a better price than that for a 20g HD. I suggest you visit techbargins.com. Staples often has sales on those HD, plus you can use a coupon code if you order online.

------------------
    Soyo sy6ba+iv celeron 500-384meg

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 15g/7200rpm
    WD Expert Series 13.6/7200rpm
    Seagate 1g/5400rpm
    V3-2000
    Memorex 48x
    SAF/Richo 6x4x24x
    Soyo sy6ba+iv Intel p3-700e@933 512meg-Cas2-2-2/
    ATI Radeon 64meg DDR-vivo-/Memorex 48x//
    Iomega 12x4x32x Burn Proof//

Maxtor is a good choice. I currently have three 30GB ATA/100's and I'm very satisfied with them so far. But if I had to replace them right now (and I probably won't for a very long time), I'd probably go with IBM. I believe they're a tad better and their prices are pretty good right now.

------------------
    Cray SV1-32 at 1.229 tera-flops (in my dreams).

The Maxtor is a good drive. I have one and it is very quiet fast. For that kind of money you should be able to get a 30 gig one.

The IBM Deskstar 75GXP is very good and right now pricing is great. I just bought a 30 gig (P/N 07N3929) but haven't installed it yet. You can find them under $130.00.

------------------
    Is the election over yet?!?!?

Just read in another Fourm that Best Buy has the 30 gig, 7200 RPM Maxtor for $99.00. Don't know if that is a Friday only special or what.

------------------
    Is the election over yet?!?!?

I currently have 2 IBM drives in my computer (7200 Deskstar 75 GXP 15 gig, and 7200 Deskstar 14 GXP 10 gig). I have been very happy with these drives. My first Deskstar 14 GXP did fail once, but IBM was quick to replace it. It's good to go with a brand with good support.

Go with an IBM 75GXP for sure! I have a Maxtor DiamondMax plus and until recently I thought the Maxtor was one of the fastest drives out there. I recently built a system for my friend and he used an IBM 75GXP, 30gb. It was extremely fast and very stable. If you can spend a few extra $ then go with IBM, otherwise Maxtor works just fine.

Go 4 dee IBEEEE-EM.

The deskstar 75gxp is excellent.
    I used to have a Maxtor but the IBM is kwality with a q.
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

Thread Information