How do I get the USB ports on my computer working?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How do I get the USB ports on my computer working?

How do I get the USB ports on my computer working?

Do I need a motherboard driver disk in order to get USB working on my motherboard? Or is it done automatically thru windows?

If you are using Windows 98 or higher, it should be ready and working once you install the OS. Windows 2000 should also support it right away. If it isn't working for you, it might be disabled in the BIOS. Check your motherboard manual for instructions on accessing the BIOS and enabling USB. But if it is enabled, your OS should support it, unless it's Win95 or earlier.

Matt

It is enabled in BIOS.
    I am using Windows ME.
    It is a SiS 7001 controller on a Packard Bell DR724 motherboard that I shouldn't have bought from Egghead.

Arg.

Packerd Bell quit selling in America because we are not smart enough to get the stuff to work correctly.
    do you know what chipset is used on the PB? Via has a usbf108 file that corrects some issues on Via chips.

------------------

Vote for HWC as best site for Tech support.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with your Packard Bell assessment....junk.

If the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS, Windows ME should see them. Go to device manager and select USB controllers. Unless there are the nasty exclamation points, the OS should recognize them. That said, any USB device you plug in should be at least found by the OS, if not completely installed under plug-n-pray. If this isn't the case (if the OS doesn't see that a new device has been attached) I'd recommend trying the second USB port, and/or another USB device, just to complete the process of elimination.

Good luck,
    Jerry

Originally posted by sevo74:
    Do I need a motherboard driver disk in order to get USB working on my motherboard? Or is it done automatically thru windows?

You know how my brother solved this one?

He installed a driver for an ASUS motherboard. Go figure.

Lesson of the day --> always get a brand name motherboard.

Thanks for the help though...

Thread Information