Hard drive problem???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hard drive problem???

Hard drive problem???

I just built my first computer and everything works great except I cannot get it to recognize the hard drive as the primary master. Any suggestions?? My specs are below.

Asus A7V
    AMD Duron 700mhz
    128Mb 133 SDRam
    Maxtor 20.4Gb 7200rpm
    Asus V7100 GeForce2 MX
    Sound Blaster Live!
    Sony 48x Cd-Rom
    Samsung 753DF

someone help will help better than me but i think that you can change that in the cmos options! i think!!

------------------
    Before we let you leave your commander must cross that field, present himself before this army, put his head between his legs and kiss his own arse.
    Asus P5Q
    Intel core 2 Duo 3ghz 1333 fsb 6mb L2 cache
    OCZ Gold XTC 4GB DDR2-1066
    Asus ati3870 512mb pci express 16
    80Gig Hd Sata
    Vista Home premium

Make sure that you have the HDD connected to the very last IDE connector on the IDE cable and make sure that you have the Master/Slave/Cable Select jumper setup for Master. Then enter the BIOS and have it auto-detect the HDD. Save your settings and reboot.

Sincerely,

Best4x4

As 4x4 said, check you cables/jumpers etc and have the bios detect the drive- assuming its a new drive, you will have to Fdisk/format it before you install windows (assuming you are installing windows), if unsure about this, post back

------------------
    Next time you wave, use all your fingers.

CALV

This sig In memory of my kid sister, Mandy. Died 14-8-02 aged 30.
    Murdered for nothing at all by Louise Berry

CALV

I have already partitioned and formatted the drive and I know the jumpers on the hard drive are set for master. I just wanted to make sure that it was connected correctly to the mobo and that the connection to the drive was correct. As said earlier, I have an Asus A7V and a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 45. This is my first time building so I'm still a little unsure of some details. Thanks!!

Is this the only drive on the cable? If not, try it alone first, as problems with the other drive might be causing this. Verify that pin1 on the ribbon (the red line) lines up with pin1 on the motherboard and drive- they should both be marked clearly. If you have a keyed IDE ribbon, you can only plug it in one way.

And is it an ATA66 ribbon, or an old one? Try to jumper it as a single drive first, and on the secondary IDE port with a different cable if it doesn't work in the primary.

Make sure it's plugged into the right slot too, unless you want it ATA100. At any rate, if the cables and jumpers are OK, you shouldn't have to do anything at all on this mobo. With bios set for Auto, it will nearly instantly poll all drives on IDE0 and IDE1 upon startup, and then the promise ATA bios controller takes its sweet ole time auto-detecting the ATA100 drives. (Don't forget to re-enable ATA100 if you want to use it )

------------------
    Asus A7V
    Duron 650@850@1.80V
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Thread Information