Can't "Scandisk" HDD
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Can't "Scandisk" HDD

Can't "Scandisk" HDD

12G drive on 2nd controller, partitioned 10G and .4G, periodically won't allow a Scandisk under W98Se as well as WinME. The error message speaks to a disk utility locking the drive up or that the drive hasn't been formatted yet, and "Properties" shows full usage in. A DOS Scandisk works OK. If I move the data off the disk and re-format, it "works" fine ie. properties shows proper pie graph usage and Scandisk does its job w. the data transfered back. This has happened to 2 new drives and I only get 3-4 days of usage until the problem repeats itself. Various HDD company support desks always blame Windows and speak 'bout Scandisk patches etc., but I have never found any Knowledgebase articles that detail this problem. As I Scandisk daily, this is bugging me. Happened to anyone else???
    IWILL KA 266R(no RAID)
    ATHLON 1400
    Millennium Glaciator HSF MUSHKIN PC2100 x 356
    MATROX G-450
    2 DP900U monitors
    XP Pro

turn off dma mode for both drives in the Bios and in windows ( for windows, go : Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Disk Drives/

Select Each one seperatly and click on Settings, un tick the DMA tab and reboot. Repartition, Reformat and try again

------------------
    i am the dark locust of the apocalypse; remember me when you stare at the night sky
    i am the dark locust of the apocalypse; remember me when you stare at the night sky

Thanx for the quick reply. I had already tried your recommendations. I've found that the only way so far to avoid the problem is to let the swapfile stay managed within Windows.
    IWILL KA 266R(no RAID)
    ATHLON 1400
    MATROX G-450
    2 DP900U monitors
    XP Pro

Make sure all of your disk management utilities like Norton, etc are closed down. These could lock out windows utilities like scandisk, defrag, etc.

Again, thanx for the interest. Have no 3rd party utilities.
    IWILL KA 266R(no RAID)
    ATHLON 1400
    MATROX G-450
    2 DP900U monitors
    XP Pro

A coworker had the same problem and she was able to use a diagnostic program named Fix It to help her. I don't know the particulars of it, but I think it's a shareware program. You cound try Winfiles.com. Maybe it's there.
    "It was a good lay........"

Thread Information