Buffer/CDR. HELP!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Buffer/CDR. HELP!

Buffer/CDR. HELP!

What is buffer on CDR drives. I have an Iomega 12x ZipCD burner and when I burn a CD the buffer thing changes like every second. It goes from 100% all the way down to 1%, then back up. Whats going on here? Is it bad or normal?

What burning program are you using? If i remember correctly i think it does that in easy cd creator, it shows 100% buffer while its preparing to burn, then goes to 0 and builds back up right before it starts burning. If thats all thats happening then you are fine, once you start burning the buffer should stay above 90%. If it starts dropping then you run the risk of buffer underun error and getting a nice new coaster.

------------------
    smurq@newmail.net
    Amd Thunderbird 700, Asus a7v mobo,128mb pc133 cas 2 crucial ram
    20.5 gig 7200 and 10 gig 7200 western digital,Yamaha 8/4/24 scsi burner, Toshiba 48x ide
    3com 10/100 ethernet card,16mb blaster banshee agp,Sound blaster live
    smurq@newmail.net
    http://paid4surfing.jumpcomputers.com/
    Amd Thunderbird 700@840, Asus a7v mobo,128mb pc133 cas 2 crucial ram
    20.5 gig 7200 and 10 gig 7200 western digital,Yamaha 8/4/24 scsi burner, Toshiba 48x ide
    3com 10/100 ethernet card,16mb blaster banshee agp,Sound blaster live

The buffer is a memory inside your CDR drive, it is intendeed to mantain a constant data flow to the disc you're burning, since it's not like HDD, the lasser is always writing when it is on, if it gets no data, it will write trash to the disk.

It is better to have the buffer at 100%, this way you're positively sure that your system it's not giving away valuable resources to another task.

If you're writing audio, i recommend you using 4x at top, i've never seen a cd drive extracting audio track above 6x.

My drive can extract up to 12-14x audio, but only from the last songs, those songs are in the edge of the disc, but the first song is readed at most at 6x.

------------------
    Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Thread Information