My 56K Modem: A Winmodem or not...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: My 56K Modem: A Winmodem or not...

My 56K Modem: A Winmodem or not...

I recently installed a Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone Modem. Now, i'm wonderin'. Is this a winmodem or not?

I tried doing some investigation with my modem, and using a benchmarking softwear while the modem is connected, i found out that my Intel 166 MMX only runs @ 112 MHz! Is this a symptom that my modem is a winmodem?
    Be careful when surfing...bananas may trip you.

A software Windows-only chipset that supports both V.90 and K56FlexTM with Speakerphone options. ISA drivers seem to be interchangeable between suppliers (use at your own risk), but there are 3 different PCI drivers.

Taken from this link: www.modem-help.freeserve.co.uk/chips/motsm56.html

Axe

It is my experience that most PCI modems are "winmodems" or controllerless modems unless the box specifically states controller based modem.
    Most externals are controller based as are many "ISA" (a dring breed) modems.
    It should not slow processor unless it's actually doing something - the CPU acts as the modem controller, slowing processes while you are online and active.

BillD

Originally posted by Axe:
    A software Windows-only chipset that supports both V.90 and K56FlexTM with Speakerphone options. ISA drivers seem to be interchangeable between suppliers (use at your own risk), but there are 3 different PCI drivers.

Taken from this link: www.modem-help.freeserve.co.uk/chips/motsm56.html

Axe

It IS a winmodem.

[This message has been edited by Shinma (edited 08-09-2000).]
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks to everyone who had responded. Your replies had helped me a lot in solving my confusion about my modem. [What a dumb sick boy am i for buying this kind of modem!] Again, a lot of thanks.

Your commputer is still good even though it is only 166 mhz. To run almost all applications you never need more than 200 mhz. Just like a cd rom drive if you got a true 72x cd rom only about 32x will be used. If you get a top of the line graphic card lots more ram your system can do anything you want.

Eric

It's a Winmodem.
    My story with Motorola SM56 PCI.
    I had a Jaton 33.6(jumpers)and still kickin' bad.
    this year I bought a Motorola SM56 PCI.
    I got home, installed the new modem and guess what? Not working. Go back to the store, change the modem. I installed the second one.
    Guess what? It worked abut 6 weeks. After that I made a call to my cable provider and I got hooked with Cable modem. I'm happy since...

------------------
    The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know nothing.

me again.
    I'm running NT 4.0 on a 200mhz.
    when I use to go on the net with my Motorola SM56 PCI, my system ressources were going down with about 45%.
    This is my experience with Motorola.

------------------

Thanks, "emican" and "society". As for emican's reply, its nice to know that someone thinks like the way i think. You know the CPu hype that you'll need more CPU horses than memry? Try using 64 MB and a memory management software (e.g. Cacheman.) and see for yourself. Windows just sucks in the way it uses memory.

'Know my experiences with that goddaMned modem? When i'm connected, it either takes too long to respond, stop transmitting, or transmits very sloooooow. Curses to this modem!

Thread Information