Init strings for a Motorola SM56 PCI speakerphone modem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Init strings for a Motorola SM56 PCI speakerphone modem

Hybrid View

Init strings for a Motorola SM56 PCI speakerphone modem

We've got a customer who has a SM56 PCI Software Modem and doesn't want to get a different modem AND has the latest drivers. She's having horrid problems getting and staying connected, and from experience and reading and whatnot I know it's basically because the modems SUCK...but anyway, I've had no luck finding init strings to try with her on the web.

Anyone around here have any init strings for a SM56 PCI Software Modem or know where I can find some?

[This message has been edited by Tech (edited 07-22-2000).]

If I remember correctly (haven't done internet support in a few months) there are none for the SM56.. they don't even make new drivers for them anymore. Motorola decided the modems sucked so bad they wouldn't produce them anymore. Are you using Lucent portmasters by chance? We had Lucent pm's where I was working and we had the exact smae problems. We talked to Lucent as well and they said there's nothing they can do about it. BTW the sm56 chipset was one of the first endeavors to make a 50/50 hardware/software modem. Obviously failed Despite the fact they don't want a new modem it might be their only choice. Not sure how that chipset reacts to other types of portmasters. Not well I'd assume.

If I remember correctly (haven't done internet support in a few months)<<<<

Heh, lucky you. I've been it it for almost 6 months now. I'm suprised I have hair left.

there are none for the SM56.. they don't even make new drivers for them anymore. Motorola decided the modems sucked so bad they wouldn't produce them anymore.<<<<

Drat.
    Heh, you know it's sad when the company admits their stuff sucks so bad they stop making it. Oh well, I'll just mail this particular customer the latest drivers on disk and tell her to install 'em. She didn't seem suprised when I told her that lousy connections were an issue with these modems, she had trouble with her old ISP too.

Are you using Lucent portmasters by chance?<<<

Indeed we are.

BTW the sm56 chipset was one of the first endeavors to make a 50/50 hardware/software modem. Obviously failed <<<<

OBVIOUSLY! And the worst part is, nasty things like HP Pavillions, Compaqs and eMachines come with lousy modems like HSP Micromodems(although tweaking settings and adding init strings fixes the problems with those), the Motorola SM56 types, and...Lucent Winmodems(the customer that makes the entire department crings owns one of those )

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll just note in the ticket that someone needs to send this woman some drivers.

Hehe no I'm not lucky for being out of internet tech supprt. I now work for eMachine tech support. Yes.. it's true.. I have no shame nor dignity but I have a paycheck that's all I can look forward to. That and laughing at those who thought buying a $400 computer was a good idea.

Originally posted by Halifax101:
    I now work for eMachine tech support. ... That and laughing at those who thought buying a $400 computer was a good idea.
    Ouch...eMachines. >,<

My parents are people who think, or rather thought, they were "Just getting a good deal" when they bought their HP Pavillion. I told them to PLEASE call me so I could go with them so they didn't buy a piece of scrap..they didn't, and they did.

Heh when I actually saw it(they had to get me to put it together for them even though all the connections are color coded) it wasn't out of the box yet...first thing I said was "Take it back NOW!!!!!" but they swore it was a good computer because the 15 year old sales twit at Best Buy told them it was. *sigh*

It's been nothing but problems, and they got it so my younger brother could play games...but...it's got onboard video that's non upgradable. HP says this, and they had me try to put a video card in..system would freeze the second it hit windows.

When I asked if they wondered why it was only $500 with the monitor they said "We thought it was just a good deal".

Tech: that's a neverending story.

Once a friend of mine told me to advise him to buy a computer, well i told him some parts and how much money would he like to expense, and based on that i recommended him an entire "clone" system.

Two weeks later, he told me about his "brand-new" system, a compaq one....the worst of it, he spend around US$1500 in it. I told him that he could buy a superior system with the same crap in it for around US$800. Well, here in Mexico the computer systems are really expensive (eg. my TNT2U it's priced about US$270, and the Annihilator Pro around US$430).

If things were cheaper here, i will surely have a real kick *** system...
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Originally posted by Luis G:
    [B] in Mexico the computer systems are really expensive (eg. my TNT2U it's priced about US$270, and the Annihilator Pro around US$430). [B]
    Pardon me while I plan a trip to Mexico!

LOL....anyway, the crap here in Mexico it's cheaper as it is in everywhere...

Those cards are really expensive 'cause no one in here likes the idea of spend all that money in a video card that will do the same as the really crap SiS, or Trident...

But for those of us, who know about the real thing, ....we must pay....

BTW Tech, vacations in Mexico are really economic...
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Originally posted by Luis G:
    BTW Tech, vacations in Mexico are really economic...
    Yeah, but it's the travel from Wisconsin TO Mexico that's expensive.

A lot of "misinformation" in here.

Here's a link where you will find very comprehensive resources about your modem and many other modems as well.

http://www.modem-help.freeserve.co.uk/chips.html

The SM56 was NOT one of the first HSP modem. In fact, the first ever was made by PCTel. Rockwell also had their SoftK56 and USR's Winmodem had also been around awhile before Motorola introduced their low cost chipset.

I do agree that the SM56 do suck. Every HSP modems should be avoided.

Mind you that there are "Winmodmes" out there which does not need to be HSP. (Host Signal Processing)

I'm currently using a Lucent based winmodem and it works great. It's not HSP.

Thread Information