CDROM not reading ANY CDs (non-CDRs)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CDROM not reading ANY CDs (non-CDRs)

CDROM not reading ANY CDs (non-CDRs)

Afreey 50X CDROM drive...

all of a sudden doesn't ready ANY CDs. What's the first thing my friend should do to troubleshoot this? I've never had this happen to me... I doubt it's a loose IDE cable or something... the machine is under a desk where it doesn't even get moved... thanks for any help...

What's does it do? Power on it? does the tray open and it spin up the cd? Does the OS see the drive?

THe most easy thing to do is open the PC and verify the IDE cable connection on both ends and make sure the master/slave jumper is ok, and not loose or with a poor connection.
    Soyo sy6ba+iv Intel p3-700e@933 512meg-Cas2-2-2/
    ATI Radeon 64meg DDR-vivo-/Memorex 48x//
    Iomega 12x4x32x Burn Proof//

he just told me that it doesn't give him any error messages, just doesn't read the CDROM. Happened in the middle of his gaming. I know it's not much to go on... I just asked him to do a hard boot because that should solve a lot of hardware problems... we'll see...

Nope, the hard boot didn't solve the problem. He also tells me there's no spinning... as if nothing was even in the drive.

RH,

As a check, make sure the drive is not disabled in the Device Manager under Control Panel/System.

If it shows as OK, and during the boot sequence it shows as a found drive along with the HDD, then sounds like your friend's ready for a new drive, bummer
    No sir, officer, I wasn't exceeding the limit.

Thread Information