New hard drive
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: New hard drive

New hard drive

Hi, I want to buy one of those 20 - 30 GB hard disk, should it work on a pentium 200?
    what is what I need to use these type of drives?
    thank you

These 20-30 GB hard drive should be ATA66 and your system is a P200 I dont think you mobo will support the ATA66. However I think the harddrive will still work in your system, but the HD will not ran at 7200rpm which require a ATA66 controler. correct me if i am wrong.

It will work still and will continue to run at the 7,200 rpm. the 7,200 rpm is a faster seek speed making access times much lower than a 5,600. You won't get the larger data tranfers of ATA/66 though due to lack of ATA/66 controller. You can pick a controller up for fairly cheap though.

If you aren't going to invest in a ata66 controller, I'd recommend a Maxtor 40+ series drive (7,200/ata66 support). Price/performance on those drives can't be beat! You'll still have ata66 capability when you upgrade.
    "It was a good lay........"

Just a note:

The Maxtor Diamond Max 20 GB is a good buy but you need a PROMISE ata66 controller card for it to work in your situation. (Still a good buy, get the 40 GB if you can).....The IBM 30 GB ata 100 is out and you may want to consider that plus a PROMISE ata 100 controller card. WHY ? because when you do upgrade you Cpu/mobo you will not have spent your money on dated equipment. It works for me !!!!

------------------
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

ok, thank you for your help!!

Thread Information