CD-ROM help
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CD-ROM help

CD-ROM help

hello,
    i recently buidled my pc, a celeron 466, BE6-2 mobo, tnt2 ultra, sblive, 128ram, cdrom creative 52x.

The system is really great!
    i have had it for more than a month now and all is well but i got the cdrom problem which is really bugging me.

Often when i insert a cd to copy something or access data it takes some time and really not normal, like i insert the cd and the cd would be reading like hell, and its like the application reading something stop responding and something the pc freeze. i really dont know why it is happening, can it be because im using the Ata/66 ide controller for it or anything else?
    thanx in advance

Do you mean that the CD-ROM seems to take a long time before autorun will come up? With a multi-speed drive that is very common. Do you have DMA enabed for the CD-ROM drive and where is the CD-ROM drive located? Never mix a Hard Drive and a CD-ROM drive on the same IDE channel. You'll slow the Hard Drive down quite a bit. Since I don't know all the exact specs about your PC I'm going to asume that the CD-ROM drive is on the secondary IDE channel setup as the master and that you have DMA enabled for it. Try disabling the DMA setting and see if that helps at all.

If it doesn't then you might want to return that drive for a different brand. All of the Creative Labs CD-ROM and CD-RW drives that I've owned or tested have all died premature deaths and I put their quality right up there with Acer CD-ROM/CD-RW drives. I recommend Aopen, Mitsumi, Teac, Sony, BTC, and Pioneer CD-ROM drives.

Sincerely,

Best4x4

thanx for the tip, i have 2 hd, 1 cdrom, 1 floppy drive, so i have 2 ide cable full, i had the secondary hd with the cdrom on the ata/66 ide controller, i took out an old ide cable from my old pc and installed the cdrom on it and till now i didnt have any problems, thanx for the help, i dont think it will cause any problems anymore..

Thread Information