Help me - looking for CD-RW
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help me - looking for CD-RW

Help me - looking for CD-RW

Anybody want to lend me some CD-RW expertise?

I have decided I want/need/gotta-have a CD-RW.

I want to be able to record application CDs as well as music and movie CDs.

I want to be able to input from an old fashioned LP record player as well as from another CD.

I have room for an internal CD-RW, but I wonder if I need to go external to have the inputs I want.

My regular CD is a 46X, and I have an Intell Pentium 200 machine running Windows 98 with 96 MB RAM.

Price will be an issue, so the cheaper the better (but if there is one unit that is head and shoulders above the rest in quality and features, I'll look at that as well).

Thanks in Advance.

Joe Johnson
    jej1216@hotmail.com

Hi Joe!
    Most of the folks here will tell you to get the Plextor, any Plextor, and I tend to agree IF you intend to use a SCSI interface. But if you want to go with IDE, HP offers several good options as well. I've also heard good mention of Ricoh, but I have no experience with them personally. As far as price is concerned, It mostly depends on the speed you want, more speed = more $$$$$$!
    Let us know what you decide!

Thanks!

Do you know if all CD-RW's have input jacks to hook up a turntable to?

Joe

Get Plextor Or Yamaha. And for the Turntable thing I think that depends on you Sound Card.

------------------
    Urban Tech Skateboarding: Bringing YOU the most innovative skaters to your television screen.

ICQ 13799279
    Question Authority

Grab a Ricoh CD-RW Drive Here is the list of Ricoh CD-RW Drives that I recommend.

IDE Drives:

MP7040A 4x4x20
    MP7060A 6x4x24
    MP7080A 8x4x32
    MP9060A 6x4x24 (it's also a 4x DVD Drive)

SCSI Drives:

MP7040S 4x4x20
    MP7060S 6x4x24
    MP7080S 8x4x32

Sincerely,

Best4x4

P.S. I also recommend HP and Yamaha CD-RW drives. I can't recommend Plextor IDE CD-RW drives because I had two die in a row. Plextor does however make great SCSI drives.

My recommendation, go get yourself a Creative 6424 CDRW. Why???
    Coz I've got one too! heeee......
    Seriously, yup as previously mentioned, I think you should go for those big names in writers, typically Plextor, Ricoh or the Yam. If you're burning big time, then maybe opt for a SCSI drive, otherwise an internal HP or Sony IDE will do the job pretty well.
    As for those spinning vinyls, it may sound as easy as having a cable with two RCA connectors at one end (connected to your TurnTable) and a mini headphone jack (pluged into the "line in" of your sound card) but remember those signal outputs from the cartridge ain't gonna be that high to drive the amplifying circuit intergrated in your sound card.
    Unless of course, if you've got a sound card with built in phono stage then it's a different story alltogether.
    Thus, the only option I presume we have now, is to see if your Hi-Fi amplifier has "pre amp out" sockets at the back, connect those RCA jacks there and crank the volume to a suitable level. No pre amp out? Then I'd suggest one of those cables with headphone jacks (male) on both ends, connecting your amp to the sound card.
    Cheers.

clock
    time is against us

[This message has been edited by clock (edited 04-26-2000).]
    clock
    time is against us

Hey, thanks everyone!

I gotta check out that stereo output thing, but otherwise I think I got the info ammo I need.

Ya Ta He!

jej

Sound and freqency response directly from the turntable will not work. True you will be able to record sound, but from the perspective of creating a usable CD, it will not work.

What you need to do is connect the AUX (auxiliary) output of your stereo to the AUX input of your sound card. Alternatively, these connectors may be labled LINE IN and LINE OUT. This is necessary for several reasons, amoung them are standard signal levels, frequency response, freqency spectrum compensation, input/output impedance,... .

Any Plextor or Yamaha CD-RW are the best! I have both!

------------------
    Urban Tech Skateboarding: Bringing YOU the most innovative skaters to your television screen.

ICQ 13799279
    Question Authority

Long experience in bad old days (like 1996) of CD-R: nightmares of compatibility
    across platforms which led to a subculture of studio geeks comparing discs from
    various burners, scrutinizing firmware updates and manufacturing details in an attempt
    to find something, ANYTHING, that would work.....

....and we came up with Yamaha. Don't get me wrong, things are quite different these
    days, and many burners are fine....but you can have my bloody Yamahas when you pry
    them from my cold, calloused hands.

I currently have 4416SX and 6416SX (these are external SCSI-2 versions) installed on
    multiple sights, and have yet to burn a disc that won't play in the oldest, most rundown
    non-multi-session CDROM's and audio CD players (our favorite litmus test gadget:
    vintage Sony bookshelf system player, circa 1985!).

If it sounds like I'm raving, sorry. I just remember what it was like when burning CD's
    was more akin to witchcraft than science. I'm keepin' my Yamahas.

cheers,
    gazzer

Thread Information