Negitives about the laser mouse
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Negitives about the laser mouse

Hybrid View

Negitives about the laser mouse

I am looking to buy a microsoft intelli explorer (laser mouse). So far all I have head is that they are great. What are the downfalls of this mouse other than its inflated price tag?

------------------
    Alright, due to too many complaints about my old sig, I shall not write any more in this sig incase anyone finds this present sig offensive.
    Thank you for booting windows for the first time "Error, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown"

Well, the only complaint I've heard is, that if you move it too fast, it doesn't track right on some surfaces. This might be a problem to someone who plays games like Doom (shows how long it's been since *I* played games<g> ), and if you need to move the mouse really quickly it might not work right for you. I am using the Intellimouse Optical, and my father uses the Intellimouse with Ieye, and they work just great for what my father and I use them for... basic computer stuff<g>.
    Michael

------------------
    People think I'm evil. I'm not. I have the heart of a small boy, in a jar, on my desk. -Stephen King
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

I've just bought one also.
    It works great and its surprisingly responsive on my mat (Responsiveness depends upon the surface you use it on)

There is one (minor) problem I am having - See main post in Peripherals!
    And it is minor, but annoying.

My mouse pad is very colorful and detailed. My intelli mouse eye hasn't skipped a beat. Only negative is that the ball mice are still annoying the hell out me when I use other computers.
    Home built:
    -Athlon 800mhz w/SD11 mobo
    -128MB PC100 SDRAM (Damn RAMBUS!!!)
    -Dual boot Windows 2K Pro & 98
    -Matrox G400 32MB AGP
    -Guillemot Fortissimo 3D sound card
    -Maxtor 8.4gb +Fujitsu 10.4gb hard drives
    -DVD Encore 6X w/Dxr3 decoder
    -DV Studio Firewire card
    -10/100mbps Ethernet Card w/Cable modem
    Click here for my website. It's about 3D arts and electronic music

The explorer just isn't comfortable for me. The thumb button is also a little high and would be perfect for me if it were a little lower. As Sir Flannel had mentioned, the mouse doesn't perform as well for me in FPS games as I would like.

This is what I don't like about it. I know a lot of others who like it. It's on a third machine that I rarely use now. BTW, I do like the regular intellieye and use it on my main machine when I do 2d stuff and as a backup in case my other mouse goes bad in the middle of a game.

I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, and i have no down talk about it. In games, it runs so smooth, i can't even describe in words. In Unreal Tournament, my Frags started rolling in faster then ever. I use it on a gray mouse pad...old and dirty, and it works great. I have tried to use it just on my desktop, but i think my desk is TOO shiny, cuz it runs funky. but aside from that, it is GREAT.

ohmy, i looooooooove this mouse. i got it for $49 at a computer show. it's sooooo smooth and slick! it feels like it's moving on air! at first, i didn't really like it. it felt all freakified, now i looooooove it. i tried out my other mouse, and it felts so bumpy! you hafta get one of these!

------------------
    MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw
    MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

Anyone know how to change the laser color?

Ryan

------------------
    Tried to save myself but myself keeps slipping away...
    Tried to save myself but my self keeps slipping away...

Originally posted by rgwalt:
    Anyone know how to change the laser color?
    WOW i wish i could change the laser color....Blue! NO, Green!, Nay, PURPLE!

They only have problems with fast movement when the mouse sensitivity is too low. If you push it up it gets rid of the problem.

I think it would be great to have a different coloured LED on the mouse. How about a transparent green mouse with a yellow LED?

------------------
    http://www.toonweb.co.uk

It felt a bit strange to me at first, but after a short while felt very comfortable. I use it mostly on a dull, dark surface, but have tried it just about everywhere and found that it is less than perfect on some light colored shiny surfaces. After a few hours use you'll begin to forget about that 'inflated' price tag.

I ended up getting the intellimouse with intellieye. Didn't like the feel of the full Explorer version so I went with the updated version of the intellimouse. Gotta love not having to clean it.
    Duron 750@847, Asus A7V133, 256mb Crucial PC133 CAS2 at 150,
    Matrox G400 32mb DH, Maxtor 10.2GB, Maxtor 15.2 GB, Plextor 8/4/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB Live X-Gamer, D-Link NIC

Thread Information