Floppy Drive problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Floppy Drive problem

Floppy Drive problem

Hi, i've got a problem with floppy drives that is driving me completely insane. Hopefully someone here can help!
    A while ago, i got adventurous and rebuilt my computer... However, when i'd put everything back, my floppy drive stopped working. The light stays on continuously. I've been told that this is a result of the ribbon cable being upside down, but i have since tried both the ribbon and power cables in every possible way and I still have the same problem, although the light is not as bright when i put the power cable a certain way. I've checked the BIOS and everything there seems OK, Drive A: is set to 3 1/2 " floppy drive.
    I've tried using a different cable, a different drive, even a different computer and I always get the same problem, so i've either managed to wreck both disk drives, or both cables, or both computers, or I'm doing something wrong that is so painfully obvious i haven't noticed! Anyway i'd be hugely grateful if someone could help.

Thanks a lot
    Dan

First, make sure the end of the floppy cable with the twist is plugged into the drive. The red stripe should be @ pin#1 on both ends.

------------------
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

[This message has been edited by Maxout (edited 05-07-2000).]
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

The advice you got about the ribbon cable being upside down was probably correct. Contrary to the "Pin #1 on the ribbon cable is next to the power plug" rule, I've seen floppies where the opposite is true. Still, if the drive is not marked, you won't cause harm with an upside down cable.

As Maxout indicated, your first floppy (or only floppy, in most cases) should be on the header with the twisted wires.

However, you may have killed your poor floppy drive by reversing the power cable. The red wire is +5 V and the yellow is +12 V. A little knowledge can sometimes be a dangerous thing.

Using Pricewatch, you can find a new drive for about $14 + postage. Get two- those things fail at the worst possible times.

Thanks for your help. I'm certain that my problem does not come down to having the ribbon cable the wrong way around as I have tried both ways. Also, the red stripe is at pin 1 both ends and the drive is attached after the twist in the cable. Unfortunately it sounds like I've killed both of my disk drives
    Just to make sure I don't do the same thing again, which way around should the power cable go?
    And you're right, they do have a habit of breaking down at the wrong times; i couldn't get at my college work, and then I had to reformat without a disk drive which was a complete nightmare! I had to make three trips over to a friends' house to copy off his HD! Oh well, at least I managed to avoid that love bug virus

Dan

Well, you can conduct a post-mortem on the drives. The pin numbers might be printed on the circuit board or metal case. On my TEAC FD235-HF, pin #1 is the 5 Volt, red wire.

The pin slots on the power plug should be off-center, and the pins will allow only one easy way to orient the plug to the drive. Oddly enough, this is the correct way. If you have to force it on, that's your last warning to pull it off before powering up.

Take a close look at your dead drives, and you'll probably say "Doh!" when you see the information you needed was right there in front of you.

Thread Information