Recommend CD-RW ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Recommend CD-RW ?

Recommend CD-RW ?

Can anyone recommend a good cheap CD-RW. I am not looking for a super fast one, just a 4x4x24 for example.

Dear J.C..

Here in Holland one of the best offers is a 4x4x24 or the more recent 4x4x32 from freecom which is also often offered without brand name. (details see www. freecom. com)
    Ofcource I got more confidence in a writer from Philips or HP, but as user of no name CDR's I'm also a user of a noname "freecom"
    burner.
    From the first 30 cd's I had one error due to visuable media error (black spot) and once i got "power calibration area full"
    good luck in hunting cheap devices..
    Thieu

Hi!

Gotta make this clear: there is no real reason for getting anything less than a 8x-CDRW...

Since I've read practically every test and review ot there, I've come to the conclusion that HP makes the best CDRW's available...

Most people here at HWC would recommend U to buy a Plextor since they've never experienced any troubles with it, but I've read a review where they compared 9 of the most popular CDRW's and even tested the written CD's at a professional institute where they discover invisible-to-the-eye defects...

...and the Plextor really wasn't any good. In fact, in some tests it even came last...

The HP 9110 won that competition, and I guess U'd just be as well off with the 8100-model at 4x...

Hope I've shead some light!

------------------
    "Expect my visit when darkness falls upon you"

Oh, I almost forgot to mention...

If you're planning on burning music-CD's then Yamaha is the best choice...

Hmm....got that smilie wrong...

That's it

I have to agree with Jestor. The most recent issue of PC World gave the HP CD Writer Plus 9110i (8x4x32) an Editor's Choice Best Buy. It beat out 12 other competitors including Yamaha and Plextor on almost every test. What surprised me was how slow the Plextor was on some tests. It was slower than the HP on every test except one, and it was dead last (among 13 competitors) on 2 of the tests. And this was against a few drives rated at 4x4x24 (the Plextor is of course a 8x4x32 drive).

I have heard nothing but good things about the HP 9110i and I have had a great experience with mine. Not to mention you get 8 pieces of decent software with it and the price isn't too shabby either (about $269 US dollars).

Thread Information