Kenwood TrueX = a disaster ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Kenwood TrueX = a disaster ?

Hybrid View

Kenwood TrueX = a disaster ?

What's being said about the Kenwood TrueX 52X drives is all true. They work _really_ fast...when they do work.
    I bought one for $100; it stopped worked from overheating after 2 weeks of normal use. I sent it back to them, and guess what ? They drive they returned to me started to lock up the system at the end of the first day of use, with the same symptoms the first one had.
    Such a pity, since when it works it's really fast and very silent. Kind of a lottery, really.

Maybe it's your case. Do you have adequate cooling? IDE cables blocking the airflow?

You might want to check the case. I've heard nothing but good things about Kenwood.

Michael

------------------
    "The Most Important Things in Life are not Things"

I was going to get one too...but I heard lots of bad things about these drives...

------------------
    Speed kills...but what better way to go?

Originally posted by Mikelh:
    Maybe it's your case. Do you have adequate cooling? IDE cables blocking the airflow?
    My case seems fine, since there is a lot of space under and above the CD-ROM drive - it's a big tower. Actually, I was somehow expecting the second drive would fail, so I haven't even closed the case when testing this new drive, during one whole day.
    Moreover, the first drive I had was also tested in 3 other computers, with identical results.

Something interesting about it, anyway : I boot up and launch a benchmarking program. It shows to me the CD-ROM transfer rate. So I try to access a 500 Mb file, which results in almost steady 48-49x rate during the first 300 Mbytes, and then the curve goes all way down, progressively, from 49x to 17x,
    and the computer locks up, never finishing to access the file. Oh, yes, the CD's perfectly fine. So I guess it's pretty clear that it comes from overheating.

Thread Information