Hard Drive Problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hard Drive Problem

Hard Drive Problem

It all started because I wanted to install a secondary slave EIDE hard drive. The jumpers were set correcly, BIOS ok (I think), anyway it registered the slave drive but then it had a message saying that it couldn't read the c drive. So what I decided to do was to change the slave to the primary just to do an fdisk. With jumpers changed I used my 98 ver 2 boot disk and ran fdisk. It did the partition but I had to reboot and that's where the secondary problem started. Now that I am rebooting from the boot disk, it goes to Verifying DMI Pool Data then hangs. How can I fix this?

Note: If I use my old c: drive with current settings it still works. System Pentium III 500 Mhz 128 MB ram

Thanks a lot.

boot from a floppy and at the DOS prompt type "sys c:"

for whatever reason I can't even get to a prompt.....

Simple solution here:

Swap your discs back over, to put your original master in place; remember to make sure your BIOS registers them correctly.

Then boot from your original master drive, and format your new disc from there.

If it won't let you boot, use the floppy again, and do 'sys c:'.

From what you say that your old master still works with current settings, seems the slave settings could be wrong. If jumpers are OK, there's something wrong in the BIOS.

Supply us with the EXACT message it gives if it still won't read your c: drive with the fdisked slave in place.

Teddy

Thread Information