ATA66 drives on ATA33 mobo
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ATA66 drives on ATA33 mobo

ATA66 drives on ATA33 mobo

Anybody know if there are any problems with hooking up a ATA66 hard drive to a motherboard that only supports ATA33?

Hi,
    From what I've read/heard/seen, there shouldn't be any problem with hooking up the ATA66 drives to the ATA33 mobo. You won't get the enhanced performance of the ATA66 setup, but it should work for you. If I'm wrong, I'll give you a refund on what I charged for the advice<g>.
    Michael

------------------
    People think I'm evil. I'm not. I have the heart of a small boy, in a jar, on my desk. -Stephen King
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Yeah, that's what I thought...with practically all the drives today supporting ata66, i would think it would screw a lot of people if they couldn't use them on their mobos.

what is the 66 anyways? i know its like a burst rate or something and i've also read that nothing can get it even close to that speed.

Actually, there can be problems under certain conditions. It's too long for me to go into at the moment since I'm taking a short break from studying, but if you want to gain a better understanding of how this relationship works, visit Maxtor's site or Western Digital's site. Both are fairly informative.

However, if you do have a problem with this setup, you will know it within a few days. The problem will manifest itself in the form of illegal operations. They will happen randomly under conditions where they did not happen before.

Hope this helps.

You're only likely to be affected with an older BIOS, mainly AWARD BIOSes are the culprits, but Phoenix as well.

Its basically caused by the BIOS getting the wrong settings from the drive, the OS then reads those setting, sets up the drive (incorrectly) and the system hangs, crashes, etc...this will happen on bootup, or when your Windows OS loads its shell.

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

Also, check with your motherboard manufacturer for the latest IDE drivers and BIOS patches. Plus, make sure that you have good cables.
    Raha (Peace in the Swahili)

The other interesting threads of discussion i've been reading has to do with DMA support for the drives. If I've got an ATA66 drive and an ATA33 drive on a single IDE channel (ATA33 supported), can both drives have DMA enabled? Your thoughts...

I think that both drives can have DMA enabled. However, you may need to download a utility from the manufacturer that will change the UDMA 66 drive to UDMA 33 before it will work, then both should be able to be used with DMA enabled.

Thread Information