Which is the Best scanner?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Which is the Best scanner?

Which is the Best scanner?

I am planning on getting a new scanner and have had an eye for the Epson 636u. I hear d that preformance between it and its scsi counterpart are similar. Any comments? I I can't spend too much(less than $210)

Have you looked at how much the HP's are there? Any of the three models are good... 4,5 and 6 series scanners are all worth it!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I currently own a Visioneer OneTouch7600 scanner. personally i love it. it never gives me any trouble. It comes with Paperport software and you can crop, change colors, etc.

Courtney

Choose Epson(GT7000SCSI/U(636)) goosemaster they're the fastest around , have the best colour matching imaging abilities of any scanner around today.The HP's seem to slow your whole system down and take ages to finish a page where the epson takes only a stunning 39 seconds! The other point you mentioned about the similarity in performance between the USB and the SCSI counterpart needless to say that you where right there except the difference in the shipped drivers .

------------------
    believe in yourself !
    believe in yourself !

I always have been a HP fan having owned a 3c, 4c, and recently bought a 6200C. 6200c has a USB and SCSI connection. I never could get the SCSI to work properly with an adaptec 2940 U2W board, adaptec 2940uw, or a 2906 host adapter card. Sporatically got message "unable to find scanner". Returned to manufacturer and second scanner had same problem. Had a 2 hour service call to HP service...they were available but could not solve my problem.
    Finally switched to USB connection and problem disappeared. After all the above prattle, the point is..WOW.. I feel HP,s quality has slipped and I would probably buy somebody else's product next time around.

appleabl,

How were you terminating that scsi scanner that didn't work? Active... Passive?

TRS-80
    9-Pin Dot Matrix
    Tandy Cassette I/O
    Cold cup of Folger's instant

I'm looking for a USB scanner but I've read so many user reviews bashing the HPs that I want to stay away. I'm leary of Epson too because I have an Epson 900 printer that works on USB until you restart the computer and then it isn't recognized. I'm worried that the same thing might happen with another Epson product. Anyone have a working Epson USB scanner?

Without even considering another brand when it comes to scanners... I always go with HP! Especially their SCSI scanners.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

PigSnack...HP 6200c by design always needs to be the last device on a chain and is terminated, I assume, internally. There is only one SCSI connector present so adding active termination is difficult without using a special order terminated cable. Previous versions of HP scanners had two scsi connectors and had switchable, accessible, active termination. The previous designs were much less problematic in a scsi chain. Thanks RLA

SCSI is the way to go. It is much faster. We scan alot of photos all day long. (Producing real estate publications) We us UMAX.

Thread Information