SCSI or IDE?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SCSI or IDE?

SCSI or IDE?

I've got a True40x CD-ROM right now. It seems to read very fast, but I have problems with burned CD's. I'm thinking about going to SCSI interface. What's the fastest/reliable out there these days? Also, what's the best SCSI controller for the CD-ROM. I've got an Adaptec 2906 for my tape backup. Is it good enough for a CD-ROM? or should I get a better one. I don't plan on getting and SCSI HDD's. I've already got an IDE RAID controller w/ 2 Quantum KA HDD's. I'm very happy with the performace/cost of the HDD's. I max at about 66MB/s on my benchs.

Any advise will be helpful!

Deja Vu... I know I answered this question already! Check the other forum!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

hi there,

What type of problems did you have burning the cds? What were you burning (ie audio or data)? I have heard that the trueX drives read data very fast, but have big problems doing digital audio extraction, so that could be your problem. I have seen benchmarks that show that the trueX 52X can only extract audio at 4X maximum. That means you're just asking for problems when you are doing recording on the fly.

To RAID or not to RAID that's my question.

I'm already running fully on SCSI with just one IRQ for all my storage devices. I'm consider running a RAID 0 soon, since I already owns two 9.1Gig Quantum Atlas 10K HDDs. =)

I'm currently using Adaptec 2940U2W controller. Software based RAID 0 allows a 65% increase in speed instead of a 90% from hardware based. If SCSI CD-ROM seems faster than IDE ones, think what an all SCSI system can do for you.

Anyhow, I hope my rather poinless comment help out to keep in touch with that inner conflict for more speed.

Hmm... to RAID or not to RAID!!

PS. ByebyeBirdy, I think he's probably not using the right backup softwares for the job. Audio CD had good copy protection also now a day. Try Nero, dude!!

Thread Information