?best 56k Modem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ?best 56k Modem

?best 56k Modem

i looking for a good 56k Modem for on line gaming (not a Win modem)prefer a pci currently i have phoebe 56k x2 flashed to .v90 games start fine but after a couple of minutes game (quake2) starts crawling
    thanks

When playing games such as Quake II online, you should always set your modems Fifo Buffer low (this is off the top of my head, hope I got the terms right).

Is your current modem a PCI modem? If so, there's a very good chance its actually a WinModem.

If you want a new modem, your probably better off going for either an ISA modem, or an External modem (my personal preference). If you do go for a PCI modem, make certain, that it is Linux compatible, as WinModems and Linux don't mix (so that cancels out any chance of it being a WinModem).

New 56K Modem... USR baby!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

USR Sportster 56K V.90 modem, very nice. :-)

------------------
    AMD RULES!!!

If you don't have a real computer, don't even bother me :-)~

I recommend an external - I have a Zoom 4929L, and it is great - solid connections (and I have crappy Telco lines.) I've played with lots of Modems, PCI, ISA, internal, external, you name it... But I found Zoom and USR to be the best.
    ...just my $.02

------------------
    Friends don't let friends use WinModems!

If you are looking for a modem for the pci slot, make sure it has a built in controller. (Winmodems do not have built in controllers and rely on software for this function.)
    Actiontec makes pci modems with built-in controllers. Others do too, but I don't know any other brands off-hand.
    they wont suffer the same cpu robbing fate that winmodems and ISA modems suffer, AND you can use them for Linux!

Thread Information