USB, EIDE, or SCSI
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: USB, EIDE, or SCSI

USB, EIDE, or SCSI

I am currently in the market for a burner. I was reading reviews and have found that the Yamaha\wSCSI seems to be the best choice. I also saw that Sony had a USB model. Does anybody know about USA for CD-RW? If so, which is better, SCSI or USB?

I haven't heard of USB burners yet, but you're better off buying SCSI or IDE. SCSI is the fastest type of drive. Yamaha drives are very good and reliable drives. I have one and it works perfectly. HP has an EIDE burner which also has good ratings. If you are looking for a professional drive, consider the Plextor 8X (www.plextor.com) Plextor makes high-end drives, which also come with a high price. I don't recommend Sony drives as I have heard negative things about them.
    Remember, only use the burner for burning and use your CD ROM for reading discs.
    "Money does grow on trees, but the banks own all the branches."

Phenom 9550 Quad Core
    8GB Kingston HyperX
    ASUS M3A78
    LG GH22NS30
    Seagate 320GB (boot)
    WDC RE3 500GB x2 on Highpoint RocketRAID 3120 with RAID1
    Sapphire 4830
    Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G
    CoolerMaster RC-690

Ok, so SCSI is they way to go. However, what do I need to run SCSI. I know about the SCSI card and I know that Adaptec is probably the best way to go. What do I need to get besides the burner that will make installation easy while trying to keep cost down?

You can purchase kits that come with the drive, SCSI adapter, cables and software. This is how I purchased mine. Or you can purchase each separate part. Adaptec is the most popular brand of SCSI adapter, but the price can be expensive. If you're planning on getting a 4X burner, you don't need a high-end Adaptec card. This is because the burner doesn't use the high transfer rate (ie. 20MB/s, 40MB/s). If you want Adaptec, consider a lower model to save money. If you want to add SCSI HD, CD ROM in the future consider high-end. There are different types of SCSI (Wide, Ultra Wide, Ultra Wide2, etc. I'm not an expert on SCSI, but I believe most burners are 50-pin. The SCSI card has to support 50-pin. To make installation easy, consider purchasing a kit. If you buy the bare drive, you may not get an instruction booklet. What are the specs for your computer?
    "Money does grow on trees, but the banks own all the branches."

Phenom 9550 Quad Core
    8GB Kingston HyperX
    ASUS M3A78
    LG GH22NS30
    Seagate 320GB (boot)
    WDC RE3 500GB x2 on Highpoint RocketRAID 3120 with RAID1
    Sapphire 4830
    Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G
    CoolerMaster RC-690

i have the sony spressa usb cdr/cdrw for about two monthes i like it so far.
    it was easy to install
    comes with sony hotburn software which is easy to use and since its usb its easy to use on more than one computer.

Is there a REALLY noticable increse in speed for SCSI devices over IDE devices?

No the burning speed is the same, but the stability is much higher.

R.
    Mads
    MTV
    Mads Jensen

PS! Fedt blad

SCSI is the best way to go. Forget the IDE burners...unless you feel the need for lots of coasters

------------------
    "Would you like to restart your computer now?" ...as if I have a choice!

I've had a Mitsumi 2xRe-write, 4xWrite, 8xRead IDE CDRW drive for a couple of weeks now and it's been fantastic. I may need to go out and buy some coasters seperately...

Seriously, I believe that SCSi is much more stable but if you've got a fast hard disk or good CD ROM Drive, you should have no problems, I have copied CD-CD and HD-CD, audio and data without any problems.

Also, the software that comes with the drive is great, very easy to use and, of course, it's a damn sight cheaper than a SCSI drive.

Anyway, good luck...

Thread Information