Help! Modem Problems...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help! Modem Problems...

Help! Modem Problems...

Hi, I posted this on the hardware section, but got no reply..and the problem's still buggin' me

I just got a PII266 with 128 memory and 56.6K SupraMAx PCI. The problem is that my Internet connection is really slow, slower than my ld P166 with 80 memory and 28.8 Acer modem with the same ISP and same phone line. How can this be?
    I checked with NetMedic and it says that the problem is with my PII266 CPU load. But why is it even slower than my old comp.?

Please help..
    Thanks!

Problem here is probably your modem. Call your ISP and ask them what kind of servers they are running. Chances are they are running a US Robotics TOtal Control Chassis there. Which do ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE with the brand of modem you specified. Being a Tech Rep at a ISP here in Ohio, I can tell you these modems have given me every type of headache imaginable. Most of the time they won't even connect, and generate some type of error message like 'there is no answer' even tho the consumer can hear plenty of fax tones & squealing. If the modem is new, remove it and take it back and exchange it for a US Robotics internal sportster. Sure it costs a lot more, but you won't be sorry.

-Matt

I want to thank Matt P for his message. I just bought the SupraMax PCI modem and haven't gotten it to work. It dials and makes all the "connecting noises" but tells me the username is wrong. This happens with my current ISP and two other I tried to sign up with. I am on my way back to Best Buy to get a US Robotics. I was just being cheap, and it costs me.
    Thanks again

Glad to hear it! On the other hand, the problem still exists. I can't get it to connect, and neither can the tech reps at Diamond. Not even with the beta firmware. I think the modem is just a big piece of junk. But it connects to AOL. 'Nuff said.

-Matt

hmmm... if it connects to AOL, then there's your problem!

Sorry, can never resist a poke in the ribs to AOL...

Thread Information