Which software for CD-RW
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Which software for CD-RW

Which software for CD-RW

I got a Yamaha 4416, and I am using Easy CD Creator Deluxe for burning my CD-R.. Now, which software should I use for CD-RW ?? The famous one is Adaptec Direct CD but someone told me that its crappy and makes you lose lots of Mbs... suggestions ?

Yeah, to me, DirectCD is a peace of s**t, too. Any can suggest another Package writing software? Thanks.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I Learn Some Thing
    New Everyday.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I found CeQuadrat's PacketCD.. seems to work the same way as Adaptec Direct CD.. I haven't installed yet.. somebody used this one ??

Sorry posted twice.

[This message has been edited by rh71 (edited 06-17-99).]

Adaptec's Easy CD Creator burned data onto my CD-RW successfully. Is there a reason you're not using that?

------------------
    ...hooked on fonics

Easy CD Creator works fine.. but I want to have the facility to use the CD-RW as an HD.. easily copy files, delete, create DIRs... and these packet writer programs, like Direct CD, provide me this feature.

"someone told me that its crappy and makes you lose lots of Mbs..."

They were correct about the loss of Mbs but not about the program being "crappy".
    Direct CD works great for me. I use CDRW disks all the time as one big floppy storage medium. Even with the overhead Direct CD needs to store data you end up with about 550Mb of storage space. I think I am right in saying this.....all packet writing software for a CDRW disk has to have a "cushion" so you can add and remove files from the disk.
    I think back to the days when 1.44mb was the only affordable storage method those of us on a budget had to store and transport all our computer files and data on, and every time you read a post someone has to say "but I can't use all 650Mb of the disk". Even though you loose about 18% of the disk in Direct CD thats not a bad deal for a storage medium that only costs about 8 to 12 dollars.

gbiddle,

I think you're right about the capacity Loss.. 18% is fair for the facility of using the Cd-Rw as an HD.

BTW, what recorder do you have ? and which version of Direct CD are you using ?

I almost forgot

Packet CD is a piece of junk.. I installed it, all the patches and upgrades, and couldn't even format a CD-RW for using.

If anyone is interested, the URL for CeQuadrat is, www.cequadrat.com/ . What a suprise! Anyway, I'm pretty happy DirectCD with my 4416s. Gbiddle has a damn good point, though. For $5-$10 you can get a ****load of storage space that won't crap out after a while like 3.5" discs do. Unfortunately Cequadrat's packet-writer isn't shareware, so I guess we'll have to hunt around for a different one.
    ------------------
    David Peters, CE
    Milwaukee School of Engineering
    "If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."

[This message has been edited by David P (edited 06-18-99).]
    David Peters
    "If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."

I also use Easy CD Creator, and it works well for me...

------------------
    "this program has performed an illegal operation..." so what's new?

yeah I totaly agree with stingray....Packet CD sucks!!

Hey, you guy are paying $5-$15 for a RW disk? I dont even wanna pay $2 for a disk @ my local store.

(I'm cheap, all right?)
    hmm, i forgot what else I wanna say.

Stingray: I have a HP8100i CD-Writer with the 1.0g flash upgrade and I think I have the 2.5d upgrade to Direct CD. (Sorry about not being able to be specific, but I am at work and the computer is at home and I just discovered your question.) I'll try to edit this when I get a chance and give you the exact version.
    I checked and I have 2.5c(236) Direct CD
    3.5c(263) EZCD Creator.

[This message has been edited by gbiddle (edited 06-22-99).]

Thread Information