Winmodems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Winmodems

Winmodems

I have been using a USR 33.6 winmodem for some time now and having no problems with it. I would like to upgrade to a 56K modem. I have noticed that a lot of people say to avoid winmodems. Even some ISP's say to avoid them. Could anyone tell me why. Also does anyone know of a good internal modem that is not a winmodem that is under $100.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

lcp

Hi there,

Get a AOpen modem. It is an ISA modem and it only cost me 50 bucks Canadian.
    A Wise Chinese Proverb:

Laugh, the whole world laughs with you...

Fart, and you stand alone.

Well, the reason to avoid Winmodems. In order to make them cheaper, they have no onboard controller chips. On the older modems (ISA modems)have a chip on them that control their function. The PCI modems use software loaded with Windows. Thie means the modem can't run in true DOS mode, and it also means the CPU has to work a little harder. Now, if you have a PIII 550, you might not notice any performance hit, but older machines will slow down a bit. Hope that helps answer your question...
    Michael
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

I just installed a motorola sm56 software modem to try it and found that I am connecting at 49333 when on my modular technology isa hardware modem (rockwell chipset) I connect at 45333 or 46667, so I think I will leave the sm56 in for a while.
    I have a K6-2 400 on a p5a and the sm56 only cost 20 in UK.
    Gigabyte 8KNXP P4 3.0 HT 800fsb 1024mb Infineon PC3200DDR ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    3DMark2001SE= 17215 2x36gb 10,000 Raptors (RAID-0) Pioneer AO5 DVDRW Lite-On 52x32x52
    Iiyama 17" TFT UT+UT2K3 = Euthanasia

dont bother with the upgrade just buy a new modem I upgraded my 33.6 winmodem and it worked for a while and now nothing above 31.2 works right and the downloads are really slow, tech support was no help either.

I bought a new USR Winmodem last year, and later sold it for practically nothing. It worked for a while and then wouldn't connect at all.

Thanks to everyone that replied to my post.
    I have bought a new 56K modem. I didn't get a winmoden.I bought a USR model 5687 and so far I am very happy with it. Connecting at 49,333
    each time.
    Thanks again.

lcp

Thread Information