CD Burners for IBM Aptiva?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CD Burners for IBM Aptiva?

CD Burners for IBM Aptiva?

With little knowledge of computers 3 years ago, I bought an IBM Aptiva P166. Yeah, I'm sorry. Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Since it offers little room for expansion in terms of bays and what-not... can anyone offer any advice as to which CD burner would be ideal for an IBM Aptiva 2159 S64? I know they tend to be a bit picky on what is compatible. I don't really know much about CD-R/CD-RW yet.

Thanks for any advice anybody!

-rh71

[This message has been edited by rh71 (edited 06-01-99).]

Assuming a P166 could handle a burner, I'd go for a slower (and cheaper!) burner, because if you tried to go any faster you'd probably wind up with a nice collection of shiny coasters. This is because the burner will burn at a constant rate, and if the data it's recieving stutters, the disc will be ruined. Check out a sites like www.killerapp.com or www.pricewatch.com for some pretty good deals.

------------------
    David Peters, CE
    Milwaukee School of Engineering
    "If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."

David Peters

I really don't know why people have to feel sorry or apologize just because they have, as in this example, an IBM Aptiva. What's wrong with you all? I have an Aptiva myself, and it works fine for what I use it for. Aptivas are certainly not top products but my experience is that they are reliable what can't be said from a number of other products. Whether someone has this or that product shouldn't play a role, just help each other to solve a question or problem.

There seem to be some people here who ride high on their horse. Not against you David P ok.

[This message has been edited by MKR (edited 06-01-99).]

[This message has been edited by MKR (edited 06-01-99).]

Ok, to clarify, I don't have a horse to ride. I probably only know enough about computers to ride ponies (that word looks funny). There's nothing wrong with me. I came here to ask for help and that was what I was expecting. But this is discussion so...

Lighten up - am I your enemy since I supposedly insulted your computer?

I was preparing for those who would reply with "why did you buy an Aptiva when you could get the same thing for $1,000 less?" Yeah, I agree with those people. Now I do. Other names you can pay $1,000 less for (even now) will do fine for "what (you) use it for."

I don't dislike the system; it is reliable, like many others you can pay less for. I wish I hadn't spent $2,700 (plus tax and no mouse pad) for IBM's name and "great support," which happens to expire a year after purchase. I can get that anywhere.

Hey, 3 years ago a 166 was a pretty nice computer! I bet it kicked all sorts of *** back then. The thing that sickens me is the fact that it didn't come with a mousepad! I shall never come within 10 feet of an IBM product again! The only thing I remember not liking about Apitvas (Aptivi?) were their rounded case tops. If I can't set a can of Coke on my computer, it's out the door for it.

------------------
    David Peters, CE
    Milwaukee School of Engineering

David Peters

Thread Information