USR 56K WinModem (internal)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: USR 56K WinModem (internal)

USR 56K WinModem (internal)

Hi there,

I have a USR 56K WinModem internal. However, I'm just curious if ZOOM FaxModem 56K DualMode is better off? Is this WinModem really bad? Why most of the time I only can get connected less than 40K?

Is external modem better than internal?

Thanks.

I have the Zoom ISA Dualmode and connect at 48-50. I had Zoom PCI winmodem, never connected over 42.....big difference.

I have a USR winmodem 28.8 upgraded to 33.3. It always connected at 28.8. Since the upgrade,it still connects 100% of the time and always at 32. If the upgrade wasn't $ 60.00, I'd upgrade it. Is it your phone line?

------------------
    henry
    henry

h. momberger's final thought should be your starting point. If your tel lines are causing you problems, that is obstacle number one. Next, is your USR a V.90? If not, its an X2 and may not perform optimally with your ISP's hardware if they're using Kflex. This mismatch would cause a fallback to V.34 resulting in an effective 33.6 (at best) connection. If it IS V.90 (which I suspect), then try some modems borrowed from some friends and see what works best in your computer, on your tel line. It's not uncommon for a change in modem to provide improved performance but that's a double-edged sword (it cuts both ways) and you might experience worse performance. In general, my experience is that USR's ISA modems cut through "dirty" tel lines and maintain connections as well as any I've tried. Can't speak for their Winmodems.

If you do opt for a Zoom, I can recommend model 2919. Loads easily, performs well and has a 7 year warranty. Good luck!
    One good turn... usually gets most of the blanket.

A7V8X w/GbLan
    T-Bred 2400+
    512 Crucial PC2700
    WD 80GB SE

Eisen,

The USR Winmodem I used was V.90. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the modem, because I have an external Hayes Accura modem before and it worked great with my phone line. However, when I switched to another ISP, my modem didn't work even though I'd upgraded to V90 already. Even worse, Hayes is out of business now and I don't think I can get the latest driver for the modem. Well, I've bought a ZOOM modem already and I'm happy with it. It works great.

Thanks all for your info.

Thread Information