SCSI Compatabilities
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SCSI Compatabilities

Hybrid View

SCSI Compatabilities

I just got my Adaptec 2940UW adapter today. I haven't bought any devices for it yet, so I'm making sure I make a good purchase. I was looking at two hard drives, one suppporting UW and another supporting U2W. Will the Ultra2 Wide drive work on my UW adapter? They're both 9.1 GB drives for a little under $300, so I figured I would get the better of the two in case of a future adapter upgrade, if the U2W drive worked on my card. Is this the case? I've been looking at the IBM Ultrastar 9ES 9.1GB Ultra SCSI and the Seagate Medalist Pro 9.1GB Ultra2 SCSI LVD. They seem like nice drives, especially compared to my current slow-assed IDE drive. Thanks for your advice everyone!

------------------
    David Peters, CE
    Milwaukee School of Engineering
    www.msoe.edu/~petersda

David Peters
    "If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."

I don't think the 2940 is U2W only UW 50 pin (Same card I have ;-)

However, is the cost increase relly going to be worth it in your situation? UDMA can get just about as fast as the 2940 and considering whenever you access a different devide (cd, zip, etc..) that will be the limiting speed anyway...

Just a thought. I prefer SCSI myself because of configuration - it's incredibly simple and only takes one pci slot/irq. :-)
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

I'm going to invest in a burner along with the hard drive ($$$), so I decided SCSI would be the best way to go. There is an 2940U2W ([url]http://www.adaptec.com/products/datasheets/aha2940u2w.html[/url/), but I have the UW version, supporting 15 devices with two 68-pin connectors and a 50-pin. Is it the 'Wide' format that allows for fast devices to not be slowed down by slower ones or is it SCSI-2?

------------------
    David Peters, CE
    Milwaukee School of Engineering
    www.msoe.edu/~petersda

David Peters
    "If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."

Thread Information