Hard Drive Model?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hard Drive Model?

Hard Drive Model?

In a recent discussion with a computer repair/upgrade shop, I was told that the Western Digital HD was about the worst on the market.They said that they have had more problems with the WD than any other. It was
    also stated that Maxtor and Samsung were very much trouble-free. I have not heard of Samsung HD's.
    Can anyone relate to this? I would like to go to a SCSI HD. What would be considered a good choice? Thanks

------------------

I have WD's, a Quantum,and a JTS that I got for next to nothing. Never had a problem with any of them. Even my origonal 170 WD is still in use in a system somewhere... My kid has it and is using in a hub for roadrunner cable modem service. Or the last I heard of it's whereabouts anway! Have heard that Maxtor, JTS aren't top choises. Buy the best that you can afford.

Good luck.

WD has been around for quite awhile.I have one and have never had any problems with it and it's an antique 5 years old and still humming away.As far as the other two brand's I can't give you a rating never have used them.
    M.H

Maybe you should yank the crack pipe away from whoever told you that, because Western Digital is just about the best company out there for drives. I have a Western Digital and a Quantum, both of which are excellent drives. The next thing they'll tell you is that a smaller monitor is better because you can wear it on your head. Wait.. that didn't make sense.. you get the point though.

But seriously, if you haven't used up all 4 IDE channels on your motherboard, stay with IDE, because even though SCSI is faster and you can attach "unlimited" devices, there is the increased cost of SCSI devices, not to mention the fact that you have to get a SCSI controller.

I for once agree with your repair shop. I work in one too, and we've had many WD's die on us! OTOH, my own 3.1GB WD is working flawlessly for 2 years now...

...chanting daily HD prayers...

-PJ

Thread Information