building my own computer is a risk?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: building my own computer is a risk?

Hybrid View

building my own computer is a risk?

I was planning to build my own pc for the first time when somebody told me that it would be very dangarous and the componants may not work due to the fact that I choose components from different manufactures. Now these are queit reliable brand names (HP, diamond, creative, Nec, asus etc...)What do you think? Please reply if you have any suggestions or reason that I should not build it by my own. The person told me that the PC vendors uses "trial and error" and therefore they use "inexpensive componants".

It's not dangerous, it's a learning experience. I would go with well known, name brand parts and save yourself a few headaches. There will be some trial and error, but that's where the learning comes in. What I like about building my own is that I know exactly what I have and what it will do. My vote is to go for it. Good luck.

Alan

I agree with ALAN_S...I've built my last 3 PC's and I learn something new with every one ....and it's great fun and frustration...and you really don't need to worry about "tech support" because you are the TECH SUPPORT...go for it ...we will all be here to help you....

Just a thought folks; there was a lady (Teresa) who posted recently about building her first PC for her business. Advice (including mine) leaned toward buying a cheap box by a reliable vendor, I think based mainly on her statement that it was for her business. As much as I've had to dig around in the entrails of my beige babies & enjoyed the ultimate success, I can relate to Teresa's reply (in a diff. thread) that she was going to go ahead & build her own anyway. I would like to get the time to do that & if it is not a critical machine I encourage the effort. No better learning than hands on. What you might do is call several vendors' sales lines and REALLY interrogate them about the components they are mixing and use those respones as (lab-tested(?)) guidelines.
    Good luck!

Even brand PC's use components from different vendors.

You should go for a MAC if you want a computer which use almost all components from one vendor.

I don't think you source really knows what he's talking about.

I have to agree with mole.
    The only trial and error these companies use is to send out bid sheets on different parts every six months to see if they can buy them even cheaper.
    Definately build your own you will have fun and own a quality machine. Or at least you decide on the quality of the componets.

It is a risk because of the potential damage you can do. But it's a good learning process, I build a computer from the ground up and it helps a lot. Just be careful and remember to ground yourself often and you won't have any problems (unless you do something VERY stupid like drinking at the same time as working on the computer or shuffling around on carpet and then picking up a PCI card.

I do occationally drink beer and some self mixed gin & tonic when I assemble computers and doing various trouble shooting work.

Sometimes even when answering questions on this forum!

Noticed that I'm doing it even better when drinking.... =)

Heheh, from what I've seen my work mates do, I believe that drinking often improves their work, and depending on how much they drink, also depends on how much of the credit you can take for their work, heheheh...

I think there is a phobia that most people have to overcome about computers. Sure, parts inside are sensitive to a lot of things, but you'd be suprised how tough they actually are. Just make sure your always touching something which is 'earthed' before you go handling chips etc, otherwise you might zap something. That = B.A.D.

I'm not implying your a simpleton with the 'B.A.D.' comment, it's just a common saying around work.

A word of advice however, always keep a good stock of band-aids near by, because your guranteed to cut your hands open at one stage or another. Those cases are sharp little buggers...

Oh, and one of the first things I was ever told to make sure I didn't do: Don't bend the motherboard, EVER.

Well I have been bulding computers for several years and I would have to say go for it. Not only do you get to choose the performance of your components, but you are also guarenteed a computer that you can actually upgrade, unlike some manufactures. Depending on the performance you want, do some research, and it's always good to have a seasoned computer builder for a little help here and there.

Don't do it! It's way too dangerous... It's highly radioactive... Don't you ever see those guys in the bunny suits from Intel? I hear class action suit in a couple of years...with all the cancer and all.

But if you do decide to do it. Choose a small, deserted, preferably non populated area to build it in. And always wear a static wrist guard!

just remember to always DISCONNECT the power supply before you put your hand in the machine.... if you're worried about messing up just take an old 486 and disassemble and reassemble to get used to working with the parts... and trust me, sooner or later you will screw up but that's life... oh yeah, and there's always great support from the folks here

Go for it....its not that dangerous....really
    and you always end up with a cheaper and better comp

Building your own computer is very risky and will cost more than a store bought brand name because in a year or so you'll have three or for computers running that you built and a bunch of parts around the house from upgrades to those computers and you'll be budgeting around purchasing whatever processor is the hot topic of debate in this forum. This will cost more than the store-bought you should have got by far and could cost you your marraige unless you move your work space into the general living area of the house where your spouse can see you in the evenings. Very risky.

very funny BSNOW that sounds just like me
    you always have one bad *** part that you took out of another computer that you build the other computer around the most i have had in the house at one time was three the slowest was a p 200 with 8mb ram and two hd with the combined capacity of 700 mb
    but do try to build computers on your own your friends will envy you at least mine do!!!!

Thread Information