RAIDing
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: RAIDing

RAIDing

I have 5 hard drives in front of me here. A new 8.5gig WD, A 2.5gig I acquired from an old job, an old 420 (I think?), and two or three SCSI's. Now, first of all, the SCSI's are all old Mac HDs. As far as I know, there's nothing proprietary about them, in fact, one is labeled Conner Periphs (40mb!). So, I assume that they should work with my Adaptec SCSI adapter. Someone warn me if I'm wrong! Second, is there a way I can combine the smaller drives into a more useful partition under 98? I mean, a 40 meg HD isn't even good for swap files (too slow), but if three drives worked as a single partition, well, that efectively triples the amount of heads and should make a fairly decent unit.

Thanks,
    Stone

P.S. Eisen, that whole 1960's engine story sounds familiar... Deja Vu! -Chip

I have the feeling I've never been here before. Its like vuja de, man.
    One good turn... usually gets most of the blanket.

A7V8X w/GbLan
    T-Bred 2400+
    512 Crucial PC2700
    WD 80GB SE

I don't think you can combine your drives into one larger... The only way to combine HD's is RAID. And you must have identical drives to RAID'em (as far as I know)
    I recommend you just put away the 40Mb and use the other HD's... It's probably REALLY slow anyways...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RAID only works with drives that are the same size. Because you're either striping of mirroring data evenly across a number of disks, you can't have different size drives, or the data won't fit on one or more of the disks. But then again, that could just be the booze talking. j/k.

------------------
    Have a great day!

Thread Information