Acer CRW-9420
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Acer CRW-9420

Acer CRW-9420

I have an Acer CRW9420 CD writer and I am having data under-run errors at 1X,2X and 4X speed. I have unchecked the Auto insert notification, Sync data transfer, disconnect and DMA boxes in the Device Manager properties. I have also tried different media and gone through the task list shutting down all applications that are running.

I have a Pentium II/450 with 128K RAM and a 9mS 16G hard drive which is only 10% used and has been defragmented. The problem happens when doing a simulated or 'real' write to the writer from WAV files on the hard drive. The write files are three 3 minute files and the screen saver is set to 30 minutes, so I do not believe that the screen-saver is the problem. I am not touching the keyboard or mouse during the write process.

I have tried both the NTI CD-Maker software which came bundled with the drive and the Adaptec Easy CD Creator program. Both give similar errors at similar points.

What am I missing? What else can I try before returning this drive? Do I have a compatibility problem with the software since the CRW-9420 is so new? It's not listed with any of the two programs as a certified compatible drive.

Please help!

Paul

I think I fixed my own problem.

Everything now works well now with both the Adaptec and NTI CDROM burning programs. I have not yet re-enabled the APM, Auto insert notification etc, but I have 4 writes at $x speed and all is ok.

The solution? I downloaded the latest CDROM firmware. The header file said it was the official release of the 1.1g which was what I had. I downloaded it and went through the upgrade process and what I now have is rev 1.1k. Seems they fixed it.

Paul

Thread Information