parallel port ZIP drive = No boot!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: parallel port ZIP drive = No boot!!

parallel port ZIP drive = No boot!!

I have a parallel port Iomega Zip drive and when it is powered on, my system won't boot up. If I unplug it from the computer, then the system can be booted up. I suspect that somehow power is being applied to the parallel port and that is keeping the power supply from starting. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
    BTW, I am using a FIC VA-503+ w/ AMDK6-2/300 (o/c'd >>>350) and an ATX P/S and case.
    Thanks...
    Kevin-

[This message has been edited by Kevin930 (edited 01-29-99).]

The solution to your problem is too plug the computer (power supply) into the same power bar as your zip drive. Now make sure when you turn on the power that it is supplied to the zip drive and the coomputer all at once. HINT: turn the computer on with the power bar off ....then turn the power bar on. This is because the zip has no switch. This way the power is supplied to both components at once. this will fix your dilemna.

Your Problem is strange. I have A PPZip, too. I've never had that problem, even with the Zip plugged in a different power strip. Could you have put the cable on wrong? Good luck.

No, it's connected properly - I think the problem has to do with the parallel port itself. I have even tried using an add in parallel card, but same thing happens. So now, I just leave the computer on most of the time.

I concur with you kevin.I have P.P Zipdrive and it dose'nt matter if I have the transformer plugged into a wall socket or my surge protecter. As long as it's plugged in when I bootup or windows won't detect it. (HINT)I think your right it's got be in the parallel port itself. P.S I'm still trying to figure out what the hell tengland was trying to tell you.
    M.H

I had the same problem with a SparQ 1 Gig Parallel drive. The fix was to go into the CMOS setup when booting and change the parallel port mode/setting to EPP. I haven't had a problem since.

Thread Information