CDR Drives. IDE vs. SCSI (does ide suck)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CDR Drives. IDE vs. SCSI (does ide suck)

Shiner Guest

CDR Drives. IDE vs. SCSI (does ide suck)

I can get a 4x write 8xread mitsumi IDE cdr drive for under $200. Is this worth it? or should i get a scsi cdr drive and scsi card (more cash)?
    What is the reliabilty of the ISE burners? are they so inferior that i should really get a scsi one?

No, you don't *have* to get a SCSI burner. The main reason why people say SCSI is better is because of the low CPU overhead. What that means is that you can generally use your computer while you burn a CD. I have a 2x IDE burner in my K6-2 400 and it works really well. When I want to do a CD, I just stick it in, press go and do something else for half an hour. no biggie, I would have wasted that half hour anyway

It depends how much more the SCSI option is. I would have preferred to buy a SCSI but it was considerably more expensive so I bought the IDE and I don't regret it at all. It does the job fine.

Shiner Guest
    Yeah, thats what i thought. thanx for tha info.

http://www.tech-junkie.com/thefridge/4416e/index.shtml

The reviewer obviously liked this Yamaha IDE drive. He claims "This is the first EIDE writer we've tested to date that didn't burn coasters when interrupted". So if you're the kind of person who just *has* to do a defrag while burning a CD, buy the Yamaha. If it's significantly more expensive than most (and hey, you're thinking about buying IDE cos it's cheaper remember) the simple solution is do what I did, get an IDE burner, set a CD going and get a life for the next few minutes until it's done

Thread Information