cd-rw or winchester drive or what? share the love... lol
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: cd-rw or winchester drive or what? share the love... lol

cd-rw or winchester drive or what? share the love... lol

Was wondering about different options for storage. This is actually for my girlfriend. She was considering a Jaz drive, but I told her the SyQuest Sparq drive was comparable and alot cheaper, especially for the media ($100 for a 1gb Jaz cartridge??? Come on!!!) Anyway... I also suggested she think about a cd/rw drive. That option sounds really attractive because of the compatibility, being able to take cd-r's anywhere and cd/rw's to most computers... Not to mention the dirt cheap price of the media.

How user friendly are the cd/rw drives for writing? I want something that is easy for her to use... would a Sparq be better because it is easier to use? Also, I know the cd drives are slower for writing... how slow are they? Are they practical for everyday use and not just archiving?

Thanks for any input. I really appreciate it (and so does she). Make her grateful for my advice and I will forever be indebted to you... lol

Also, any suggestions on which drives of either type to get? I have heard good things about the HP 8100 for the cd/rw's... any info on Sparq reliably? Sure beats Jaz on price considerations...

[This message has been edited by KaBudokan (edited 02-18-99).]

Last i heard the sparq manufacturer went bankrupt, though i could be wrong.

I`ve gone through a bunch of Backup devices,
    in the last 2 years, a HP tr3 tape(now just sitting in the attic),a HP 7100e 2xCDRW (now in my wifes comp), a Iomega 1gb jaz( also now in my wifes comp, though i have access over network), and lastly a HP8110i 4x CDRW.

The jaz was nice and fast, but to do a full system backup took about 5 disks to do both PC`s. The 7100e is an external printer port drive, and it was slow also 2x, and a bit unreliable. ( its now been removed from the external case and installed internally, still slow, but now we have no trouble with it.) And I have the HP8110i installed in my comp. its much faster, and with the supplied software, HP disaster recovery ( a dumbed down version of Seagates backup exec98), its easy to use. backup is relativly fast, but restore seems to take forever.
    HP disaster recovery is the only software I installed from the HP supplied software, I use adaptecs easy cd creator deluxe 3.5, and Nero for cd creation and CD backups.

in the last 2 years, a HP tr3 tape(now just sitting in the attic),a HP 7100e 2xCDRW (now in my wifes comp), a Iomega 1gb jaz( also now in my wifes comp, though i have access over network), and lastly a HP8110i 4x CDRW.

The jaz was nice and fast, but to do a full system backup took about 5 disks to do both PC`s. The 7100e is an external printer port drive, and it was slow also 2x, and a bit unreliable. ( its now been removed from the external case and installed internally, still slow, but now we have no trouble with it.) And I have the HP8110i installed in my comp. its much faster, and with the supplied software, HP disaster recovery ( a dumbed down version of Seagates backup exec98), its easy to use. backup is relativly fast, but restore seems to take forever.
    HP disaster recovery is the only software I installed from the HP supplied software, I use adaptecs easy cd creator deluxe 3.5, and Nero for cd creation and CD backups.

sorry about the multiple posts, my browser was locking up, and didn`t realize it posted.

Thread Information