Modem Help!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Modem Help!!

Modem Help!!

I have a USR 56K DSVD voice/data/fax (aka big picture) modem. I recently loaded WIN '98 and it will not recognize the modem. First I get "Windows has found new hardware: US ROBOTICS WinVoice Audio System.
    I try to search for the drivers on the USR CD but Windows doesn't find any there or on the Win'98 cd. I uninstalled the modem(anddeleted every dll and bin file for winmodems)several times with the same result. I even tried regedit and deleted everything to do with USR, 3com and winmodem. This time Windows recognized the modem but was unable to install the drivers without an error saying a video modem is already installed, remove it first and reinstall the drivers. Of course once I do this i have to start over.
    Can you help me figure this out, I am fairly computer literate.
    Also the modem is never recognized, so no drivers are loaded. I can't use add hardware because it does not see the device as a modem, I try to select my own hardware and i select the driver but it wont load because it says the location does not have info for the device.
    anyone know how to manually install the drivers for a modem?

Go into Control Panel | Modems, add new modem. However, don't select a modem from the list. Click "Have Disk". When you insert the disk, and give it the location, it should give you a list on modems, with drivers on the that disk. Then select yours from that list. This might work. However, on problem you may have is when you install like this, Windows like to use plug and play and detect anyway. Hopefully you won't have this problem. When adding a new modem this way it doesn't restrict whether or not a similar device is installed. You can install it as many times as you want. Though the modem won't work if more than one is installed, but it will let you install as many as you want.

------------------
    Eccentric
    "Go Linux"
    Like HardwareCentral?
    Interested in Linux?
    Check out HardwareCentral's sister site:
    www.linuxplanet.com
    Features Ultimate BBS, caters to newbies!

By the way, WinModems are the pits. If it works fine, but if it doesn't it's a real pain. That and the fact that it won't work with anything but Windows machines.
    Like HardwareCentral?
    Interested in Linux?
    Check out HardwareCentral's sister site:
    www.linuxplanet.com
    Features Ultimate BBS, caters to newbies!

Don't even waste your time messing with a WinModem - which are all sewer scum.

Don't even waste your time messing with a WinModem - which are all sewer scum.

SNAFUbar, I have a USR 56k Faxmodem. I had
    mucho trouble installing it. When it got to
    the "have disk" question, I would say "yes"
    and then type in "D" (my cdrom at the time) and the program would come back and say "Cannot find drivers for modem". Well after
    calling USR support, i found out i had to type .D (you might need D. ) to get
    it to recognize the drivers on the cdrom. Sounds crazy right? It worked though. Maybe that will help.

[This message has been edited by Big Daddy (edited 02-03-99).]

S4 I also bought a cheapo PCtel modem but can't seem to get the thing working. COM2 on COM2 off. Built COM in add new hardware. Just can't seem to find the right combination. Would appreciate any ideas.

Try removing your modem and installing the drivers. Turn off the computer and insert the modem. Turn it on and it should pick it up (worked on a Pheobe). Good luck.

I had a US Robotics Sporster a while back with this problem of not recognizing drivers on CD ROM. I copied all the drivers and .inf files to a floppy and went to "change drivers" in Device Manager, Modem Properties and stuck the floppy in at "Have Disk" command. I installed this modem many times on several machines and always had to use the floppy I made instead of the CD ROM. Weird.

Thread Information