choice of modems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: choice of modems

Hybrid View

choice of modems

Which v 90 modem should I choose? There are the diamond internal version and aztech and zoom and IBM ....etc which one to choose?

GET U.S. ROBOTICS OR WAIT UNTIL ALL THE MODEMS CONVERT FROM ISA TO PCI.

------------------

Why I keep on giving you all this "Good A... Advice"!!!!!

I agree. Recently purchased USR PCI internal and it installed perfectly, connects every time at either 50 or 53k. Replaced other "new" modem using Lucent chipset, avoid these at all cost.

I don't know if the usr pci is a winmodem or not (I think it is) and I'm not sure why I should care. It works like a charm.

Ok, all the New USR internal's are Winmodems if I remember correctly. Here's the problem with winmodem, cant stand on its own. No UART chip DSP chip, needs the processor and OS to function correctly. Which also means uses up some of your processing cycles there by slowing down your performance to a certain degree.

In my personal opinion it is always best to go with a "real modem". A hardware controlled modem, ISA is just fine for a modem though.

Hope I helped

Does a winmodem utilize the cpu when it's inactive? I would suspect not, therefore only when active and running other applications does the perfomance suffer. Is this a frequent occurance?

It's a very frequent occurence. Most people don't just connect to their ISP, they run other programs like web browsers or IRC clients as well. On a lot of systems the slowdown is quite noticeable.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Not all the new USR internal Modems are WinModems. The Discovery is a WinModem. The USR FAXMODEM is not a WinModem and is very good. Get an ISA hardware-based Modem and you should have no problems.

The Zoom DualMode 56K and Diamond SupraExpress are talked up a lot but I've tried both and wasn't impressed. I have a 56K Aztech PCI a got online for $42 shipped that I thought was better than either. But my recommendation would be a 56K ISA US Robotics OEM (NOT a Win Modem version) widely available for under $70 if you skip voice. They dial and connect fast, have that nice loud speaker, and connect very reliably.

I have a USR 56K internal fax modem for the PCI bus. costs about $100.00. Works great out of the box!!

------------------
    Slip Kid
    Slip Kid

Thread Information