IBM vs Seagate vs Western Digital?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM vs Seagate vs Western Digital?

Hybrid View

IBM vs Seagate vs Western Digital?

I've always heard that WD and Seagate are the best IDE HDs but I've seen a lot of talk about IBM on this board. Is IBM comparable or better?

Thanks!

The IBM drives are better. You may want to look at Quantum, too. Check out http://www.tomshardware.com/releases/98q4/981125/pc-shopping05.html for the LOW DOWN.

PeterDaniels is right. IBM Hard drives are top notch. You really can't go wrong with any of the brands that have been mentioned, though.

IBM and Fujitsu are the most reliable, IBM is usually among the fastest for any given spin rate, and these companies are about the only two drive makers that aren't at risk of bankruptcy.

FWIW,
    MAXTOR HHDs are excellent.

IBM hard drives are the best. IBM is the absolute leader in hard disk technology. They even got a 270MB HDD the size of a quarter. How can you beat that?

I would have an IBM in my computer if only I could afford that 14GB Deskstar they have.

I would agree that IBM hard drives are probably the fastest. However, its been my experience that theyre slightly more expensive. Odds are, for whatever it is that youre using it for, games, office work, whatever, the speed difference between an IBM, and say, a cheaper Quantum, is going to be so small you wont notice it. For most applications, a WD, Maxtor, Quantum, anything will do fine, unless you want to spend the extra on an IBM drive anyways.

Its like buying a car that goes 500mph, when really you have no need to go faster than oh, say a good 250. :-)
    "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies;
    lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."

I'm using IBM deskstar 10.2GB 7200, and it rocks.

I work in a computer repair shop and its been my experience that the WD is rarely a problem. the others you mentioned are good but seem to dies more often than the WD.

JUST HAVE TO PUT MY 2 CENTS IN. I HAD A WD FOR 4 YEARS AND NEVER A HD PROBLEM, SO WHEN IT WAS TIME TO UPGRADE I WENT WITH THE WD AGIAN.
    Current System:
    AMD 1800+
    MSI K7T266 Pro-RU
    512MB DDR
    Asus V7700Ti GF2 64MB
    WD 20GB 7200

If you plan to overclock, the IBM deskstars are the way to go. I use an IBM deskstar GXP14 10.1 gig. It runs cool, moves data as fast as SCSI on single user systems, and you can get it for about $275. Check out
    www.shopper.com, they will list all companies selling the part and how many are in stock in some cases.

i have 2 maxtors (1gb & 6.8gb) & both are fine. i also have a 2.1gb seagate & it just cunked out on me all of the sudden giving me fits.

------------------

Why I keep on giving you all this "Good A... Advice"!!!!!

Personally, I favour Quantum drives. I am not sure about other manufacturers, but Quantum's Shock Protection System is reassuring. It's nice to know that even if some clumsy fool banged it around in the shop, it will emerge unharmed. Other drives can be damaged, but take weeks or months to die. If that happens, you've already lost everything you've done since you got the computer (read, you have to start again with a new HD, and fear it happening again)

I've had 3 Maxtor's. They may not be the fastest, but they have been consistently dependable.

I have 2 Maxtor 2880s bought based on several harddrive reviews at tech sites a year or so ago (can't remember where) but in the face of Voodoo2 cards, K6-2 350s and DVD drives I was pretty indifferent to harddrives beyond size..that is until I bought an 6.4G Deskstar 8. You just slide it out of the antistatic bag and you see the difference.. but the real kicker is that its almost silent, I mean not even half as loud the Maxtors, and they're quite drives. Its a real wonder- I love it. I have a Western Digital thats about three years old that hasn't had a problem but its hard to listen to the thing crackling like a fire place after the IBM. I just bought an 8.4 G IBM DTTA for $173 shipped to my door at http://www.tjt.com/HardDrive-4.htm.

Thread Information