Miscellanous questions
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Miscellanous questions

Hybrid View

Miscellanous questions

1. I am buying a new internal modem probably the diamond supra express.
    As far as I know you could hook up two modems and get a total of 112kbit/s
    uncompressed. Now when you buy this package from diamond. Will you get one
    or two internal modems?
    2. Are there any differences whatsoever between internal and external
    modems? I've heard that the internal modem doesn't have a processor and
    therefore uses cpu power......
    3. Which PCI slot should I place it? And will is take up a IRQ address?
    4. Is it true that the new flatpanel screen are TOTALY flicker free? Then
    how come some of them still have TCO 95? You're not suppose to need one
    if the monitors are flicker free......
    5. Are flatscreen panels good for games? I've seen some games running
    on flatscreen and most of them look blurring. I dont want a to play unreal
    on a blurry screen....
    6. What is the best grapic card for a flat panel screen? I am considering
    diamond TNT v550.
    7. Suggestions on a good TFT screen? Good CRT makers=good flat screen makers?

Thank you for all respons

To answer some of your questions in regards to the modem, I personally think External modems are a lot more hastle free, even though they may be an extra couple of bucks. They're just easier to install, easier to reset, you have groovy little lights you can look at (heheh), and from experience, they conflict a whole lot less then Internal modems.
    However, if you do end up getting an Internal modem, it doesn't matter what PCI slot you put it in, as long as you know that slot works (which is most likely), it will be assigned an IRQ address. If it's External, it will most likely be IRQ 3, if it's Internal, it will most likely be IRQ 2 (I think...).
    It was even said that External modems have a quicker connection between the modem and the motherboard, because it doesn't need to go through a slot, instead it's using a fast serial port, but truthfully, I don't really think you can tell the difference.

Seems you're a little confused:

Yes, you can hook as many modems as you want, as long as you have enough resources to those modems. Win98 supports multilink functions in Dial-Up Networking. No need to buy those shotgun software. Just keep in mind that you'll need separate phone lines for each modem.

Internal sits inside your computer and external plugs outside. (Dugh!)
    There are some modem chipsets which tax your CPU. Especially those so called HSP modems made by PCTel. Chipsets made by USR, Rockwell and Lucent Tech. does not tax the CPU.

You can place it in any PCI slot, and YES, they'll require seperate IRQ.

Of course they're flicker free. They're LCD based. Any LCD based screen is flicker free, whenever it's TFT or DSTN.

Problems with LCD screens are that each dot represent 1 pixel. If the screen is 1024*768 in resolution and the game runs in 640*480 or 800*600, the picture will either be run in the middle of the screen with black borders or streched across the screen. This will make the picture look blurry.

Any graphic card will work on LCD screen. There is no such thing that one will work better or another. They wouldn't know if you're using a regular monitor or an LCD screen anyway.

Thread Information