V.90 slow connections?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: V.90 slow connections?

Hybrid View

V.90 slow connections?

I'm here to report a first in the world of slow internet connections. First let me give my background. I formerly worked for a Telco/ISP so I usually can tell the cause of a slow connection. 95% of the time it's the phone companies fault. Well with all the complaints we got about slow connection as an ISP there is nothing we can do 95% of the time. We usually recommend that customers contact the phone company. The phone company however, always blames the ISP, so nothing is ever accomplished.

However, on this historical day in the history of net surfing, a "first" truly took place. I recently installed a second line in my house for my computer. On the original line I could connect at 48.8 100% of the time. However, upon installation of this new line, I have not connected at faster than 26.4. I called the Telco, and actually got opportunity to talk to the person who installed the line. He admitted that they noticed a problem when they ran they're diagnostics on the line! That is revolutionary to me. All that's saying is that when installing lines, I would bet that most telcos could care less about bandwidth, or line quality. They figure as long as you have voice over the line then you will be satisfied and they don't have to take account. Well folks this is evidence that there is hope, so all you 56K slow connectors, call your phone co. and raise hell, it worked for me!!

------------------
    Eccentric
    "Go Linux"
    Like HardwareCentral?
    Interested in Linux?
    Check out HardwareCentral's sister site:
    www.linuxplanet.com
    Features Ultimate BBS, caters to newbies!

Well, you seem to know what you are talking about, so I hope you can answer this question for me. I have a Cardinal Connecta 3440, 56k, x2, V.90. I was having problems with random disconnections so I re-installed my modem. Before, I could get connection speeds anywhere from 26,400 to 48,000. My ISP is x2 and v.90 compliant. Well, after I now can't connect faster than 28,800! I have mailed my ISP about this with no response yet. Any suggestions?

Lucky you Eccentric. Unfortunately it's not that good everywhere - down here Telstra is only contractually obliged to provide lines good enough for fax, specifically 2400bps.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Tex,
    check out this site - 56k.com
    Kevin-

Tex,
    check your port speeds again in control panel & in your browser settings.

Thread Information