Whats a disk write error?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Whats a disk write error?

Whats a disk write error?

Ive been getting a lot of disk write errors lately. I dont exactly know whats going on and Id appreciate it if somebody could tell me why its happening.

The computer is new, which is why Im so mad. After every disk write error, DOS tells me to run scandisk. For a 8.4 GB HD, scandisk takes a very, very long time to finish. In the past 3 days, I think Ive run scandisk over half a dozen times.

There only 2 unusual things I can think of are:
    1)I overclocked it. (300A) It was fine at 374MHz or so. But 450 was erratic, it might not be related, but after I tried 450 was when the errors started popping up. Its now back to 300, but the diskwrite errors still happen.
    2)I shipped it from US to Japan. It was working fine for the 1 week before I shipped it.

Thanks

catch ya later,
    Gaijin

[This message has been edited by Gaijin (edited 01-21-99).]
    catch ya later,
    G

hmm.....I think there must be some kind of burn out in your EIDE controller chip
    OC not always works
    Maybe You can Pull out your Harddrive and try it In your friend's computer.
    IF the Error still popping Up, replace your HD, if the HD was happy in your friend's computer. then Check your Motherboard

374MHz sounds like you popped the bus speed up some. Some hard disks don't like that at all and can fail, which may be what has happened. It could be that you put the bus to a "standard" speed just in time that the hard disk wasn't completely destroyed, but still partially damaged. Try putting it back to 374 and see if you lose the hard disk after a couple of days (no really, I'm kidding. Having a HD die is a real pain). Try your disk in a friend's computer (hook it up in tandem with his hard disk and update the BIOS info). And try his hard disk in your computer IF yours works in his. Because it may be your motherboard that doesn't want to work. Occasionally you can get a bad motherboard too.

The key to it is being systematic. You have to test one component in a variety of situations to determine if it works properly. Once you know it works properly, the problem has to be somewhere else in your system.

You could also try to FDISK and FORMAT your HD and re-install all your software.

It might be some kind of FAT corruption. If it is physical damage on your HD, then the FORMAT will expose them. The only thing I'd recommend is to replace the HD if you got bad sectors.

A friend and I brought our computers into the ISP where I work, and plugged them into the network. He was trying to install Linux and maybe grab a bit of software since the link was right there on the end of the ethernet cable, and linux installed pretty easily. However, when he tried to use Win98 again, it gave an error message that one of his drives had developed bad sectors and ran scandisk. Then when he tried to get into Win98 and open E:, it complained that E: was inaccessible or locked by a disk utility!! However, E:\ was scanned fine by the DOS scandisk, and the data was still there under linux. doing a DIR in DOS said there were no files. Very strange. He used linux to move the data off E:\ and it was still valid.

Moral of the story: Microsoft is a ****up. I don't know what went wrong but it still detects that particular partition, partition magic and scandisk can access E: fine and say there are no problems. It works under Linux. But no go under Win98. He's moved the data off and he'll format E: again and see if it works.

How did you ship it? Sounds like it got tossed around pretty good and possibly damaged your drive. You can try fdisk, if it's really screwed it will show up there.

Thread Information