V.90 MODEM???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: V.90 MODEM???

V.90 MODEM???

Can anyone recommend a fast and reliable 56K V.90 MODEM? I have tried a Viking 56K and a Zoom dual mode 56K. Both were not very good.
    I am thinking about a U.S.R. (not a WinModem!) Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks so much,
    Kevin.

I have a USR 56k and upgraded it to the v90 standard. Never had any problems with it. You are so right.......not the winmodem.

try diamond SupraMax V.90 it works great and its cheaper than USR

------------------
    Goofy

But the SupraMax is also a WinModem...

DE Guest
    I'm just curious...What was the problem with the Viking modem???I just bought one last night and so far I have not had any problems...Anyhting I need to look out for...Thanks

I have a Supra Express at home, it works really good and is consistant. Too bad that Diamond is the abo****e worst for customer support after the sale.

My neighbor has a Shark Leopard that is amazing. It connects at the same speeds or better as my Diamond and the DialTone software is a lot better than anything I've seen with any other modem. My next modem will be a Shark (just to get the software).

------------------

DE,
    The Viking is a WinModem and so it relies on your CPU. Like all WinModems, it taxes the computer.

BTW, I got a ZOOM external Modem now, but my connections are still poor - I think it is phone lines or ISP. I am going to change ISP soon and see if my connection improves.

Kevin.

I have a USR 56k Winmodem, thought buying a more expensive modem would help my connection, speed,etc. Hah!! To be fair, my ISP told me the phone lines in the area I live in are crap, but, I get faster connection speeds with a 25 dollar 33.6 modem, than I do with a 125 dollar 56k USR
    winmodem.
    Lesson learned: Just because something cost more and has name brand doesn't always mean it's better.
    PS)This darn USR Winmodem is a pain in the neck to configure, too!

It's never the modem, unless you've got incorrect drivers. It's always the phone lines. Always! Well I shouldn't say never but most of the time. It's always a factor of what condition the lines are in and how your calls are routed to the phone co. Example:
    You can have brand new phone lines, however, if they have to go through miles of routers and switches before the get to your ISP's popsite then it doesn't make a difference, you're going to connect slow. Switching ISP's may work sometimes because they're Popsites may be closer. However, most of the time it does no good. The reason 33.6 modems on bad lines usually connect faster is simple. 56k modems are usually on a protocol, if all of the standards of that protocol aren't met then it's just like a 33.6 modem. Now take that regular 33.6 modem, and add in extra processing cycles for a protocol such as V.90 that isn't working because the signals are traveling too far, or are experiencing interference. What do you get? 26.4 or 28.8 connections. Try your phone company, and explain to them what you know, and ask for minimum B.S. They might be generous enough to give you a new number, that might improve your call routing.

------------------
    Eccentric
    "Go Linux"
    Like HardwareCentral?
    Interested in Linux?
    Check out HardwareCentral's sister site:
    www.linuxplanet.com
    Features Ultimate BBS, caters to newbies!

I believe the modem does make a difference. I bought a system which came with a supposed 56k winmodem (lucent chipset) that was pure crap, would not connect to anything. I even changed ISPs thinking the protocol was not supported. Finally bought USR pci based winmodem. Installed like a dream and I now connect every time at either 50 or 53k. Sounds like I'm just lucky (ISP=ATT).

The key word is WinModem. Winmodems aren't even real modems. They're implemented with more software than hardware. They won't even work on other OS because it requires a Windows Library. You're right the modem can make a difference. However, if you're connecting at 28.8 or lower, with a 56K modem, 9 times outta ten, it's not the modem

------------------
    Eccentric
    "Go Linux"
    Like HardwareCentral?
    Interested in Linux?
    Check out HardwareCentral's sister site:
    www.linuxplanet.com
    Features Ultimate BBS, caters to newbies!

I too am convinced that WinModems are nothing but sewer garbage!

Thread Information