IRQ problems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: IRQ problems

Hybrid View

IRQ problems

I have recently added a PCI modem and a PCI Tv card. The problem is that sometimes when I restart the computer, Windows moves the modem to IRQ 12 which is also sharing my PCI video. Is there a way to keep the IRQ's from changing everytime I add a card? Plug and play doesn't seem to keep from having interrupt conflicts. Any ideas would be appreciated.

deselect the "automatically choose settings for this device" box and set it up yourself. Then it will always stay the same and provided nothing else shuffles around, you'll have no problems.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

normally you can set up the bios to where it won't change the settings

What is wrong with the PCI cards sharing an IRQ, that is what they are supposed to do. If you look in device manager, is "IRQ steering" (x2) using the same IRQ as those two cards? Yes? everything is ok then.

IRQ steering or any other variant (mine goes by the extremely long name of "ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering") seems to be a new thing that reserves IRQs for your PCI cards. Currently I have 4 devices using IRQ 11!!! Anyway if it works, don't worry about it. I think it's good that PCI cards can share an IRQ, if they couldn't then I would have run out long ago. As it is I can't have both of my COM ports enabled. I don't need them anyway, but the IRQ limitations really do suck.

Thread Information