56K v.90 Modem running very slow
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 56K v.90 Modem running very slow

Hybrid View

56K v.90 Modem running very slow

I have bought several modems and they all claim to be v.90. I understand that in reality, I will only get 53K or slower speed.
    However, the one from EigerCom and CommWave only connects at 29K. I used Dial-up Networking and Windows 98. Please Help!

Contact your ISP and find out what kind(s) of modems they are using. While most ISP's have upgraded to 56k modems not all of them have. Also there could be some problems with the phone lines in your area which can affect your ability to log in at 56k or better,I have that problem a friend of mine that lives less than two miles away is able to connect at 115200bps with a 28.8k modem while I've got a 56k and am only able to connect at 28,800bps even though we both use the same ISP.

rml .... call your ISP and get different phone numbers...I'm with EARTHLINK and they gave me a number that works alot better with my flex modem

Thanks for the advice.

The actual problem is:

It happens several times that I helped friends upgrading their modem (at their home), it connects at 29K. However, based on previous experience with those modems, they connect at 49K at other places. (With same ISP and same phone number)

So, I think the problem will be more likely with phone line.

In other words, some people should stay with their 28.8K or 33.6K modem.

Thanks again.

Thread Information