HP Sure Store 8100i
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HP Sure Store 8100i

HP Sure Store 8100i

I am currently selecting components for a home built computer. I am in need of some technical advice and a recommendation. I would like to have a CD-RW but am concerned with the reading speed. If the reading speed is too slow, then I will need a CD-ROM or a DVD in addition to the CD-RW. I have seen one CD-RW on the market which seems to have a fast reading speed. The HP Surestore CD-Writer Plus 8100i advertises a read speed of 24X! Is this accurate? All the rest of the CD-RW have read speeds of 4X or 6X. Is the 24X read speed equivalent to a CD-ROM with a 24X speed? Is 24X read speed sufficient for most games and other purposes?

Does anyone know the difference between the 8100i and the 8110i?

Thanks

I am looking at the same drive, from what I have found it is a true 24X, but you may still want to buy an additional CD-Rom to use as the main one, CD-R/W are not made to last as long as a CD-Rom, Such as Failure time. Traditional is 250,000 Hrs, and CD-R/W is only 100,000. Which may not seem like much difference, but when you pay over $300.00 for a CD-R/W vs. >$100.00 for a CD-Rom. Just a thought, but if anyone tells you about the 8100, Please post it here. I am actually looking at the 8110i, for extra software.
    AMD64 3200, 1 Gb Ram, ATI 9800xt(256)
    AMD 2700+, 1Gb Ram, Geforce4600 VIVO
    AMD 2000+, 1 1/8Gb Ram, ATI 8500 (128)
    AMD 1800+, 1Gb Ram, ATI 9600 pro(128)
    Intel 1.6Ghz (478), 768Mb Ram, 8500 (128)

I too am in the market for a similar CD-RW, so I am curious as to what others have to say about the HP. I concur with Mikie - it is not a good idea to use a CD-RW as your primary CD-ROM drive.
    Good luck...
    Kevin.

I bought an 8100i last month. Yes, it is fast. I also would suggest getting a cd reader for regular use, but the 8100 is temporarily my only cd-rom drive. I installed 2 huge game demos from it (and if you get any game magazines w/cds, you know how long it can take to load the interface, much less the demo install routines), and the 8100 blazed right through them.

I have found this CDRW, like all HP products I have used (2 PCs, 1 monitor, 1 inkjet and one laser printer) to be very solidly built. However, again like all HP products, the software can be very confusing on the CDRW (at least to me). It does work flawlessly once you figure out what you're doing.

As far as I've heard, the difference between the 8100 and the 8110 is more software. I certainly didn't see any features that would justify the extra expense when I was shopping (and I looked hard). Good luck with your shopping; it looks like the price has gone up with the new year, so make sure to use a price search engine to find the best deal.

What is the extra software that comes with the 8110i that is not in the 8100i? Is it games or what?

I have not finished my search and have used only one price search tool (something in CNET) but the lowest price I have found so far for the 8100i is 310 + 12 shp. with no sales tax from BuyComp.com.

I will keep looking. Has anyone seen a better price?

As far as failure time for a CD-RW vs. a CD-ROM, I am not too worried. I assume that the 100,000 hr is a mean time to failure. At most, I would use the device 10 hours a week. At that rate, the mean time to fail would be 10,000 weeks or 192 years. Even assuming that I get a machine at the lowest "normal" range of operating life, It should last until long after the technology is outmoded. The only real concern is if you get a lemon. While that is unlikely, I admit there are more parts that can be bad in a CD-RW than in a CD-ROM.

Thread Information