US Robotics Internet Discovery Suite question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: US Robotics Internet Discovery Suite question

US Robotics Internet Discovery Suite question

Is the PCI modem modem that comes with the Discovery Suite a better modem than the Winmodem? Has anyone had problems with this one? I'm looking at replacing my Winmodem. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I believe it is a WinModem.

I think it is, too. I bought one, and it started installing the Winmodem driver, so I took it back.

It is definitely a winmodem and thank goodness you took it back. I purchased one while running '95 sr2 and upgraded to '98 and the modem would not run. I took mine back and got a USR 16bit Plug and Play ISA.
    The system is faster and I have fewer disconects now.

Last April I bought this Winmodem that I'm using for $100. It worked great for about 4 or 5 months and then I started having problems. As soon as I realized the PCI version was a Winmodem, I hurried back to the computer store.

Are all the WinModems bad? Even the ones with Rockwell or Lucent chipsets? What if you don't play DOS games and only want to use the Modem in Windows?

I can only speak from my experience. I just think paying $100 for one is a little much when a non-Winmodem can be bought for less. One brand that I had good luck with was Newcom. I've seen them as low as $59.

I spoke with the technician from my ISP and he said that they found that Winmodems (Usr) are unreliable. He recommended the ISA Usr Sportster FaxModem that he was selling at $129. He said they are more solid.

Myself, I've spent $100 on a Winmodem and wont buy another Usr because mine has a 5 year limited warranty and they have not offered to fix it, and I've called twice to tech support with the same problem.

So what's the point of a five year warranty if they don't honor it?

I think they may honor it if I insist which is probably next.

In the mean time, I picked up a $19.99 56k modem from Computability (a special they had), and am trying it out. Connected at 44000 bps currently.

Thread Information