Advice needed on CD-writers
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Advice needed on CD-writers

Hybrid View

Advice needed on CD-writers

Can anybody advice me as to which CD-writter to buy . I am interested in saving photos and multi-media software, etc.
    thanks JAV

Well, it all depends on your budget. If money is no object, i would recommend the new Plextor drive. Step down from that would be a Yamaha 4260 or even Hp 8100i. Before you go out and get it though, think of what you mostly going to be using it for and how fast you may want it done. If it's just for 'once-a-week' back-ups, you don't really need much but if you're planing to be copying full discs as well ( ofcourse not ), consider getting a SCSI drive and make sure it supports DAO (Disc-At-Once) recording. As for a SCSI adapter, a little Adaptec 1520 will do just fine even with 6x burners unless ofcourse you have multiple SCSI devices.
    Have fun !

JAV I've got an Hewlett Packard 7200i...I paid $275.00 for it and love it...I had some initial problems at first , but that was because I had my head up somewhere it didn't belong...the HP tech support is great...One recommendation is to put both CD ROM and CD/RW on the same IDE cable one as master the other as slave....

That jerrybaxtor must be stupid. You should NEVER and I repete NEVER!! put cd rom and cd writer on the same IDE channel. What a stupid fool!!

If you want PERFORMANCE (quick writes and reads) look at the HP 81XX series and Ricoh for IDE or the new Yamaha CRW4416 series for both IDE and SCSI. The Sony has good specs for IDE but I haven't used it (yet).

I have several HPs but I'm getting a Yamaha SCSI for this PC.

Try buy.com for a great price.

Happy New Year.

The Sony Spressa also works really well, i got mine for 325 and its 4/2/24

either that or the HP 8100i are probably really good deals, and yeah, generally speaking, it's better to keep your hard drive and one CD rom on one cable, and another hard drive(or not) and the other cdrom on another...
    be careful, if you plan on doing cd--->cd audio, its really tough, you're going to probably need a 40x reader..
    the read speed has to be AT LEAST double the write speed, or else you get those f***ing buffer underruns and *coasters*.

Data CD's transfer safer at cd---->cd, but audio is risky unless you have something with a constant rate of about 10x read, most 24x writers that you buy on average go at about 7x, and often burst up to 24, but if the reader can't keep up with the writer, ya gotta coaster!
    hope that clears somethin up

MusicMan

Actually, you want to keep your IDE HDs on the same cable and IDE CD drives on the same cable. Otherwise, the CD drive will slow down your IDE HD.

Actually, you want to keep your IDE HDs on the same cable and IDE CD drives on the same cable. Otherwise, the CD drive will slow down your IDE HD.

Thread Information